PROLOUGE

CASSIDY

CURRENT DAY.

Blood dripped down his forehead as it blurred his vision. I swallowed hard as I tried to control my breathing, this was no time for me to panic. I focused on the dark woods ahead of us waiting for an ambulance to arrive. I knew our attacker was still out there somewhere, I just didn't know in what condition he was.

"So, I guess I jumped infront of a bullet for you," he said with his lower lip trembling.

"Don't speak, help is on their way," I replied as I stroked his blood filled hair.

"Does this mean you'll finally trust me with your heart?" I was amazed how he could still find humor in all that has happened. I was about to make a snarky comment when I heard the sirens getting louder.

Finally the ambulance came to stop right infront of us. A tall skiny man and a strong looking woman got out. "Where is he injured?" The woman asked as she started to examine him.

"He got shot in the ribs and hit his head pretty badly," I managed to bring myself into a standing position but I didn't know how long I'll be able to stand before the fear of what has happened consumes me.

They very slowly picked him up and layd him down on the strecher, as they were carrying him to the inside of the ambulance the skinny guy mummbled something, I think he was struggling to carry the weight on the strecher so I had to ask him to repeat himself.

When the strecher was finally safe in the back of the ambulance he tried again, " I asked if your coming with us or will you meet us there?"

I turned around to see if Addison would be okay with it, she gave me a slight nod and I jumped into the back of the ambulance. "I'm going with you."

I was barely seated when we started to move. Each bump we went over jolted my body uncomfortably in the confined space of the vehicle, I couldn't imagine the pain that he must be feeling.

We finally came to a stop at the hospital, doctors and nurses fought over who gets to treat the patient, it was that time of the year when they welcomed the interns to do the job.

I watched as they pushed him trough the hospital alleys telling me that i'm not allowed to follow. I hated when I got told what to do. The only thing I had left to do now was to wait, so I headed to the waiting room trying not to loose my mind as it felt like time was standing still.

I must have drifted off to sleep because when I felt someone softly shaking me awake I saw that four hours has passed.

"Miss Crist?" A doctor in a white coat asked unsurely.

"That's me," I replied as the words struggled through my yawning.

"I'm afraid that I have to bring bad news upon you," he wasn't able to look at me as his eyes drifted around the waiting room, it was clear to see that he was filled with feelings of guilt and failure.

I knew what he was going to say next, that the opperation was unsuccessful, so I didn't even ask. I knew at this moment that my life was never going to be the same again and once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream. I bent forward pressing my palms to the floor and I cried with the force of a person vomiting on all fours.