Chapter 7: I Must've Been KRUNK Last Night With This Headache

(Edited 1/25/2021)

Y/n's P.O.V.

I woke up, groaning from the major headache stirring all clear thoughts inside my head. I was lying down this time, so I sat up and found myself in a soft bed with fluffy blankets. I looked around and saw I wasn't in the musty, humid, intimidating room that I wan in before. I was in a clean and neat bedroom with just a bed, end table and a metal chair next to the bed. Confusion ran through my head, thinking of possibilities of why I'm in a bedroom instead of where I was before. It was quiet and peaceful with just a high window letting in the moonlight. I laid back down, taking in the softness of the sheets and the pillows. Then, I heard a click come from the door. Toffee stepped through the door, closing it behind him, and sat down in the chair. "How was your rest?" Toffee asked in a emotionless expression. 

"Who cares? Why did you move me here? Prisoners don't really deserve soft sheets and comfy pillows to sleep." I replied sassily, crossing my legs. 

Toffee smiled and answered, "I'm not that cruel. You are also not a prisoner."

"Then can I leave at this moment?" I asked.

Toffee narrowed his eyes, taking in what I said, "Touché... I still have some questions that I need answers to; and I'm guessing you have more as well."

I rolled my eyes and said, "Obviously. You killed my mother and you think I'm just gonna let it be?"

One of the corners of his mouth lifted a bit, "It would be very worrying if you didn't ask questions being how you acted when we first spoke. To answer your first question, it's best if you didn't breathe in the mold and algae in the room below. Don't want you getting sick from a simple one on one talk now, do we?"

We sat in silence for a few moments until I commented, "You can ask questions now. I'm not gonna bite you." 

Toffee gave me a serious look, asking, "Did you have any clue that your mother had very powerful abilities?"

"No, you were the first one to let me know. My turn: did my mother's sisters have the same abilities or some kind of abilities?"

Toffee thought for a moment, "There was no talk of it if there was... Your mother had a lot of the spotlight in the family. Now, why did you move to Echo Creek?"

I thought about it and nothing popped up. I had no idea why we moved. Auntie Marie just let me know that we weren't going to stay at my house anymore. We stayed there for a whole year and then she decided we would move to California. She didn't even inform her one year boyfriend and left him with no explanation. "Honestly? I have no clue. My aunt wanted to move here."

Toffee put a hand to his chin and held onto his elbow, "Interesting... I would ask your aunt why if I were you... Knowing what you do now. Your turn."

I sighed and we sat in silence for a few seconds, "Do you know who my dad is? Mom never talked about him and she didn't have any pictures of him."

He looked out the high window in thought and said, "Yes... I can't inform you about who it is yet because you wouldn't understand. The only thing I have to say now is he was the evil your mother defeated last before she had you. She was even four months pregnant when she defeated him." 

I looked at him shocked, "So is he dead or...?"

Toffee gave me a look that said 'what did I say'. I shook my head, signifying that I wasn't going to ask about it anymore. "Last question for today... Will you be willing to be my apprentice?"

"Heck no! You killed my mom, regardless of what you have told me! Why would I want to learn from the person who killed the only parent I've ever had?" I yelled, leaning back against the pillow padded headboard of the bed.

"You want revenge, correct? You are just as powerful as your mother." Toffee asked, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, his fingers knitted together. I just then noticed his ring finger was missing.

I growled, "You don't know what I want."

Toffee looked into my eyes and said, "Fine... You want to learn more about your mother's and your father's past. I can help you if you are taught under me. If you still aren't interested, I wish you the best of luck with your information hunt." He stood up and adjusted his suit coat, turning to leave.

"Wait," I demanded, causing him to stop, "You can't leave without an answer, correct? I know you stood up to get me to answer."

"It worked though, didn't it?" Toffee responded, still facing towards the door, "So, what will it be?"

I sat in silence, running over everything in my head, "Do I really want to risk my life being around you if I am just as powerful as my mother? How do I know you aren't going to try and kill me also?"

I could see him smirk darkly from his side profile and the chuckle from him made me shiver, "You don't. That's just a risk you are going to have to take."

I knew right at that moment, I would say 'yes'. It was like something clicked and I couldn't help it, "Okay then... I'll be your apprentice."

The aura got dark in the room. It could have been Toffee giving it off or the literal black clouds swarming the room. "I'll let you know when your first session is..."

When the clouds cleared, I wasn't sitting on the bed anymore. I was sitting under the tree from earlier, but the sun wasn't peaking up from the top of the horizon. I got up and felt my pockets for my phone. I found it in my back pocket and grabbed it. Once I turned on the phone, the whole screen was filled with text messages from Star. Some saying 'where are you' and 'we need help', but in full caps.

I put the phone away and looked back to the valley below. There was some bright red lights in a specific part of the neighborhood and a lot of black smoke. There was also some weird white blobs of different sizes running around. I instinctively began running towards the trouble, ready for what could happen.

Time Skip...

I finally showed up to one of the meeting spots Star said if I was able to help and found her tending to a wound Marco had from battling. In the distance in the sky, I saw a woman flying that looked like a butterfly along with a fire woman, man sized goat, crystal monster, and a skull trying to destroy what was now identified as... Giant bunnies? I decided to ignore it and ran over to Star and Marco, saying, "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it sooner!"

"Where were you?! We've been trying to contact you for hours!" Star asked, handing me a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and some gauzes.

Don't tell them.

"I was sleeping at home." I said, sadly. Star nodded and ran off to help with the bunnies. I kneeled down next to a fully aware, wincing Marco. He had a cut on one of his shoulders and it was bleeding a bit. I grabbed Marco's hoodie and folded one of the sleeves.

"Marco, bite onto this. I need to clean the cut before it gets infected and it might hurt a bit." I asked. He looked at the sleeve and hesitantly bit on it. I pushed up the white t-shirt sleeve that was in the way and poured some hydrogen peroxide on the wound. Marco's face began to twist as if he was in a world of pain. I began to dry the solution with the gauzes and continued that process until it was positively clean.

I noticed some wrapping tape to hold gauze to wounds next to Marco and grabbed a bit. Marco was going to need some stitches, but we didn't have time. I wrapped up his wound and said to him, "Don't move unless you are in danger. We can't have your wound bleeding some more."

He nodded saying, "Thanks... Were you seriously sleeping?"

I scoffed, "Of course I was. All I do is sleep and eat." He chuckled a bit and we began to chat while we waited for it to be safe.

1,413 words.