Finding Signs

Clue: (Noun) A hint that reveals a new aspect to a mystery.

                       The police officers came back to me with their latest reports, still saying the same things. Nothing has changed. They have no clues, not even a wisp or shadow to lead them to where my wife has gone. Nothing at all. I still keep the letters hidden. It feels like marring something sacred to share them with someone else, when they were so obviously meant for me.

                 Sofia never shows up this morning. I try calling her friends, but none of them have seen her in days. Neither have I. I told my mother to keep the girls for a while longer, until I found her, so they wouldn't be frightened. I call the police, reporting everything that's happened within the last week, any arguments, things she said, anything she did, everything I remember. I have a remarkable memory, and I fill them in on every detail of our life for the last seven days, and more, down to what we had for breakfast. They thank me, and tell me they'll be back for more information soon. I don't need their reassurance, I just need them to find my wife. People can't just vanish. It just doesn't happen. I know she must be out there, somewhere.

                      I strum a little, tune a little, add a bit. The routine keeps my mind off her. At least for a little while. It isn't long before I'm drawn back to the letters, finding the next one, written a few days after the first. It's odd, the letters are all addressed to the horizon. As I open it, a little key falls out, a note attached. Kira, you may not remember this key. You found it one night on the beach, after our second date. You gave it to me, telling me I had the key to my heart's desire. Who knew you'd become my heart's desire? You're getting closer to finding out why I've left you. Be strong, the girls still need you. All my love, -Sofia. I stare at the little key, pressing it to my heart, praying it will call Sofia back to me.