Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

When Jane took the phone, hearing Silvio's voice was...a relief, but she was too numb to feel much of it, really.

As though the shock and pain of what had just happened was so great that even the greatest soothing balm she could find, Silvio's voice, barely did anything.

He sounded worried. He sounded frantic. He asked her if she was all right, what the man on the other end of the line said, and at first she thought he'd asked her if she wanted him to come back to her.

No, that wasn't what he said. He wasn't asking her if she wanted him there to comfort her. He was telling her that he was on his way.

Jane blinked.

She wasn't even sure how long she held the phone to her ear for while Silvio talked to her, but...

Just the small fact that he was coming for her, that he would soon be here and everything would be all right again...

Jane never felt smaller since she was a little girl. She melted onto the bed, clutching the phone tightly to her ear, holding it as though it was a comforting stuffed animal that would chase away all the dark nightmares that haunted her.

"Please get here. Just get here. I'm sorry about everything, but I need you right now."

The strength in Silvio's voice was comforting, and maybe it was because she was a little more awake, a little less shocked, but she was really able to soak in the sound of his protective nature, and feel comforted by it.

"I'm on my way. Don't move a muscle."

"Please hurry." Jane didn't care about the impossibility of not moving a single muscle while she waited for him. All that mattered was he got here quickly.

"I think he was watching your house."

Isla, who was still in the room, tensed at that. "What?"

Silvio growled. His voice had never sounded more dangerous to her. Not in all the time she'd known him or all the conversations they'd had.

"I'm coming, baby, just sit tight. The police are on their way."

"The police?" It had honestly never occurred to her to try calling the police. Now that the idea was presented to her, she felt like a fool for now thinking of it herself.

"I called them the second Isla got me updated on what she thought was happening. They should be showing up any minute now."

No sooner were the words out of his lips than Jane heard the broken wail of a siren outside.

Perfect timing.

"I'll get the door," Isla said, but Jane barely heard a word that came from her friend's mouth. She was too focused on the phone in her hand, and the sound of Silvio's voice as he raced home.

Back to her.

*****

There were questions she had to answer, and then answer again as the men in blue stepped aside for a detective to ask those same questions again. Then someone else arrived who spoke in soft tones, as though expecting Jane to fall apart at any moment.

Maybe she was. Jane was still in the borrowed pajamas Isla had given to her. Her feet felt cold on the floor as they sat in Silvio's beautiful living room. Isla seemed torn between staying out of the way, and coming in to check on Jane as much as she possibly could.

Usually that involved rushing off to go and make some tea before coming back and serving the police and detectives.

In a strange way, watching Isla panic, watching her sit down and take Jane's hand before letting it go so she could rush off and get Jane a blanket, was soothing.