Chapter 1 Typical Friday Night

It was a dark and stormy night. The teenagers were hanging out together. But of course everyone had their separate groups; the nerds, the gamers, the jocks, the preps, etc. I, myself, was with the nerds-slash-social outcasts.

            We were planning on going to one of our houses and watching our favorite movies, the Harry Potter series. I suggested my house and we began walking at a relaxed pace. I could already feel the excitement crackling between us. And to think this was just a typical Friday night. Or so we thought…

            Just as we rounded the corner to my street, I heard a twig snap. At first I thought it was just an animal, but then I heard something in the woods right beside us. I knew better. With my heart in my throat, I instantly turned to my friend, Lily, and told her everything. I saw the sudden shock in her eyes turn to fear. By this time, we were at the front door to my house. Everyone else felt the tension in the air and Zach looked at me in confusion. I slowly shook my head signaling I would tell him later. I dug out my keys and turned the knob. I told everyone to go in first and I was almost in the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

*        *        *

            As my instincts kicked in, I grabbed the person and intended to fight with everything I had. What I wasn’t ready for, was someone who matched me evenly in both size and skill. When I turned around however, my eyes widened. “Austin!” I screamed. I had attacked one of my best friends. I knew he saw the relief in my eyes, and then he understood. He had scared the crap out of me.

            “Sorry. I thought you heard me,” he explained. I stared in disbelief.

            “Of course I heard you, you moron. But I didn’t know it was you. I’m glad you’re here though. We’re just about to start movie night. Join us?” I asked. He just stared at me. The mischievous look in his blue eyes quickly turned to sadness. It was a change only I could notice. Of all our friends, Austin and I were the closest. I understood immediately. Something had happened and the last thing he wanted was to be around people. Slightly wondering what was going on, I led him through the house and up to my bedroom. Being in a more relaxed territory, he quickly found his favorite spot on my bed. It was of course my favorite color, teal. And I had a special pillow for Austin. He practically lived at my house. Our parents never cared of course, since we had known each other for years. Ten years in fact.

            As he settled down, he sighed loudly and closed his eyes. A sign I knew only too well. Depression was setting in. And sure enough, I saw his fingers twitching as he scratched his left wrist. He was thinking about it. I quickly went around the room and picked up anything sharp. Too scared to leave him alone; I texted Zach, grateful for someone to trust.

                        Me: It happened.

                        Zach: I’ve got it covered.

            He had understood immediately. We all did. When it came to life and death, nothing was taken lightly with us. And there were no jokes about death. It just did not happen. Call us sticks-in-the-mud, but if you knew what we go through, you’d understand.

                        Zach: I’ll start the movie.

                                  Come down when ur ready.

                        Me: Thx. And I will.

            As I sent the text, I saw Austin get up and walk over to the window, a far-away look in his eyes.

            “What happened?” I asked, pulling him back to reality.

            Without looking at me he said, “I needed a break. They were arguing again. And I knew I wouldn’t be safe left alone.” Tears welled in his eyes. Austin never cries. Ever. So I knew it was bad. For the last few years, his parents have been threatening divorce. Each argument getting more heated and longer by the day.

            I walked over to him and wrapped him in my arms, turning him toward me. His tears slid down his face and each one dropped onto my shirt. I could feel my heart breaking. It tore me apart to see my friend in so much pain.

            As his breathing became harder, I realized just how serious it was this time. This could be the end. And we both knew it. He tried to speak, but I just held him tighter, silencing him. I knew that if you tried to talk in the middle of tears, it only increases your pain.

            When his sobs finally turned to slow breathing, I let go. We walked over to the bed and he lay down. As I lay down next to him, I put my head on his chest till I felt his soft, even breathing. With each rise and fall of his chest, he was that much safer. I felt he would be okay for a few minutes. I got up and walked to the door. One more look back to make sure he was asleep and I left.

            Zach was in the kitchen when I came down the stairs. Worry and stress already in his eyes. His movements were slow and he wasn’t focused. As I came up to the table, he had only one question.

            “Is he okay?”

            I sighed, “He’s asleep in my room and I’m going back up in five.”

            Instantly he looked toward my door. “Does he need anything?” he offered.

            “Sleep, comfort, and a friend. Just have a glass of water ready when I come back down in fifteen. Three ice cubes with a lemon wedge.” He nodded, the light in his eyes brightening as he realized the water was for me, not Austin.

            I turned and headed back up the stairs. Realizing too late that I’d left a safety pin on my dresser. I ran up the stairs and threw open the door. Austin, startled, jumped ten feet into the air. The safety pin was right where I left it.

            “You okay?” I asked slowly.

            “Better. Still wish I wasn’t here, but the urge is gone.” He looked uncertainly at me. “Are you?” he asked, almost afraid.

            My voice shook as I said, “No.” And that’s the last thing I remembered as a searing pain shot through my chest and everything went black.