Chapter 6 The Airport

“Black, can it wait a day?” Dylan asked slowly. I turned to look at Black. A look crossed his face. I could barely recognize it. But then I realized Black actually felt sorry for me. But the look was gone before Dylan noticed.

            “I’ll give you eight hours to talk to her,” he said evenly, a slight warning in his words.

            Dylan nodded. “I’ll make it work.” No emotion showed in his eyes. I could sense that he was stalling for time. But why? Since when did he care about me? I thought he was on Black’s side.

            He waited until Black left before he spoke. “You’re wondering why I care. The answer is simple. You’re my half-sister,” Dylan stated. I let his words wash over me, trying to make sense of it all.

            “Are you on my side at all?” I asked, not really wanting to hear the answer. He stared into my eyes. His deep brown never left my blue ones.

            “It’s complicated.” His voice was even and cold. That’s probably why I shivered.

            I forced myself to look in his eyes, to keep my gaze from wavering. “Are you going to kill me, Dylan?” My voice never shook, and the words were out before I could take them back. I watched him carefully. Again, pain clouded his vision. I knew his answer was sincere.

            “No,” Then he looked away from me and opened the window that I didn’t know was there. He turned back to me. “Black doesn’t know it’s here. Go. This will lead you straight to the cemetery.” He looked away.

            As he walked to the door; “Be careful,” he whispered. I climbed through the window and the world went black…again.

*        *        *

            Coughing, I opened my eyes. Why the hell was I cursed with blacking out? Why black? Why not sparkles? Okay, get it together, Olivia. Blinking, I took in my surroundings. Dirt enclosed me, and for a moment I was back in my coffin. Claustrophobia was never a problem for me, but it looked like that’s exactly what I was developing. Heart pounding, I realized I was in a sort of tunnel. I sighed. Might as well find out where it goes.

            Getting up, I tried to remember everything that had happened the past few days. I imagined them as a list in my mind.

1)      Austin’s parents got in a fight.

2)      I had a heart attack and near death experience.

3)      Passed out again at the hospital.

4)      Zach told me he loved me.

5)      I woke up in a coffin.

6)      Went back to my grave, found my half-brother.

7)      Got shot by my half-brother.

8)      Got kidnapped by my half-brother.

9)      Got shot by my half-brother again. God, you know, I’m really starting to hate family.

10)   My half-brother led me to this tunnel.

11)   Passed out again. Now I’m realizing where all the dizziness is coming from.