Chapter 5 Black

Driving down the main road, Zach turned to me. “Olivia, how come your parents never told you about Dylan?” I was trying to figure out the same thing.

            “I don’t know. Should we believe what he says?” I asked, puzzled.

            Austin spoke, “I don’t think we should trust Dylan at all. He’s too mysterious. Too dark.”

            Elizabeth piped up, “Oh, you felt that too? I thought it was just me.” I could tell what they were thinking.

            “Just because Dylan turns up out of nowhere in a cemetery doesn’t necessarily mean anything,” I reasoned. Zach glanced sideways at me.

            “Can I talk to you when we get back to my house?” he asked. It was Lily’s turn to talk.

            “We’re not going to be dropped off?” she asked.

            “No. I don’t want any of us to leave Olivia alone,” he said.

            “I can look after myself,” I said, slightly hurt. “I’m not a child, Zach. You don’t have to babysit me.”

            “I don’t trust Dylan one bit. I’m not leaving your side,” he said. His emerald eyes blazed with stubbornness and determination. He’d already made up his mind. There was no arguing with him.

            Just as we pulled up to Zach’s house, I let out a gasp. There was someone following us. And I didn’t like it at all. Zach looked up. “Who’s behind us? Does anyone recognize the car?” No, I thought. But I recognize the driver. It was Dylan. Why had he followed us?

            “Zach, leave. NOW!” I said. He didn’t ask why, didn’t say anything to counteract me. He just listened to me and drove back out of the driveway. Austin, eyes wide, turned behind him to look at Dylan. I saw Dylan look straight at him, and Austin winced as if a bolt of pain shot through him.

            As we backed out of the drive Zach asked, “Where do you want me to go?” I thought for a moment.

            “Drive out to the country. Try to throw him off our tail.” He obeyed. As we pulled onto the interstate, I looked back to see if we were still being followed. Guess what, we were.

            Zach turned to me, “I was going to wait till we were alone, but I need to talk to you.”

            “Do you guys mind not listening?” I asked. They all pulled out their iPods. I turned to Zach. “What is it?” worry dripping from my words.

            “Did you notice Dylan’s eyes? And the way Austin flinched when he looked at him? Dylan’s not right, Olivia. There is something going on with him,” he said darkly. I had noticed both. But I wasn’t judgmental so I was going to wait awhile until I decided if I didn’t like him or not.

            “I’m not going to lie. I did see those things. But Zach, who are we to judge?” I asked.

            “Olivia, he almost hurt Austin. Shouldn’t we be a little skeptical?” he countered. I took in his words.

            “I guess.” I gave in. On my right I saw something that took my breath away. Dylan was standing on the roof of his car, holding a gun to my head. I screamed. And for the fourth time in three days, I blacked out.

            I woke up in a dark room. I felt my head. The spot where Dylan hit me with the bullet was swollen and there was dried blood on the side of my face. There was a pounding in my head. I tried to sit up, but someone pushed me back down. I tried to speak. “Hello?” I croaked.