5

"I can't believe you have a brother."

He had been back home for almost a week, and was sitting on the front porch of his best friend's house. He had just finished telling Jessica and Gabriel about Dean, and nodded now at Jessica's statement.

"Me either," he shot her a slight smile, "It's still kind of surreal."

"What's he like?" Gabriel asked as he seated himself next to Sam.

The youngest Winchester bit at his bottom lip for a moment before answering, "They act likes he's crazy, you know? Dad and his doctor, they said he's – " he raised his hands to make air quotes, "partially disconnected from reality. He sees and believes in things other people can't see. Like monsters and stuff. I guess he's kinda violent sometimes, too."

He frowned, recalling his last visit with Dean, the way his brother had attacked the orderlies and had threatened John. He shook his head as he raised his eyes, "It's – I know all that about him, but I still think he's kind of amazing. He's – he's so smart, he knows practically everything about anything supernatural, and he took classes in there and got his high school diploma a couple years ago. And he's funny, and I was only there for a week but I know he's pretty cool, you know? Even with all his issues. He – " His voice trailed off for a second and he swallowed hard, "He listens when I talk, and he – I don't know, he makes me feel like I'm the most important person in the world."

He shot his friends a weak smile as he finished, "I don't even really know him, but it feels like I do. It feels like I've known him all my life, and that something clicked into place when I met him. And I miss him." His friends wrapped him in hugs and support, and he was grateful for it, and for them. Still, he missed arms clinging to him like he was the only thing in the world, face pressed against his neck and warm breath on his skin.

He missed Dean.

He entered the house several hours later and walked into the kitchen. He was getting a bottle of water from the fridge when something on the kitchen table caught his eye. Sam moved to inspect it, and found a white envelope with his name and address on it. His heart skipped a beat, a grin touching his face, as he read his brother's name written as the return address. He had written to Dean the day after returning to Nebraska, and has been hoping that his brother would write him back. Sam snatched up the envelope and practically ran to his bedroom to open and read it.

Two days later, Sam started his volunteer position as a team leader and counselor for a two-week-long science and technology summer program. He, Jessica and Gabriel had been volunteering with the program for the past three summers. It was a day program for children up to 12 years old, which allowed them to learn and be involved in science and technology experiences. Sam had been in it for a few years himself, until he turned 12 and began to volunteer as a counselor.

He had reached the end of the first week of his volunteer duties when he entered the kitchen that Friday morning. "Morning," Sam greeted as he sat down at the kitchen table. He snagged a piece of bacon from the platter sitting nearby as his father returned the greeting. "So what's going on this weekend?" he asked, crunching on the bacon, "Can we go see Dean?"

"I have a busy weekend, Sam," John glanced up from the newspaper in front of him to look at Sam, "I have a conference with the dean of the college on Monday, not to mention tests and papers to grade. Maybe next weekend."

Sam frowned but merely nodded, reaching for another piece of bacon. He refrained from rolling his eyes as John instructed almost absently, eyes on his newspaper,
"Use a plate, please. And eat something more than just bacon."

After a quick breakfast, the teen stood and grabbed up the backpack on the floor, near the kitchen door. "Gotta run," he waved goodbye to his father as he headed out the backdoor, "See you later."