18

Tuesday found Sam climbing into the Impala, where his father was waiting behind the wheel. He had soccer practice at his high school for a couple of hours. It was his first trip away from the house without his brother. His dad had jokingly asked if he was going to enjoy his 'freedom'. He had shot the man a smile but remained silent, eyes flicking to the house's front door. He didn't bother to correct John and tell him no, it didn't feel like freedom, it felt like something was missing. He wanted to run back into the house and grab Dean's hand and drag him to the car. He had even suggested to John that Dean come to soccer practice with him, but his father hadn't been comfortable with that idea.

"Dean's had near altercations the two trips we've made away from the house, Sam," the man had reminded him, "Let's just wait a bit before taking him some place where he's going to see other kids trying to knock your block off with a soccer ball."

He couldn't stop himself from glancing back at the house as they backed out of the drive, and then headed down the street.

"He'll be fine," John told him, "Bobby's with him."

Sam loved soccer and he loved playing for his team, but the next 3 ½ hours seemed like the longest of his life. It didn't help that he was distracted and off his game, so to speak: unusual for him, and his coach had him running laps for it.

Soccer was off to a fine start.

When he had run his last lap and collapsed on the field next to Gabriel, panting for breath, his friend handed him a bottle of water. He finished half the bottle before breathing out a "Thanks". The blond smiled, reached over and smacked him on the back of the head, and told him,

"Dean's fine. Chill out. You worry like my grandma."

"Your grandma gives sky-diving lessons and her motto is 'fuck all you bitches'. I'm pretty sure she doesn't worry that much." He countered, smirking at his friend. Gabriel nodded and shrugged as he agreed,

"Yeah, okay. You worry way more than my grandma."

Gabe's mom dropped him off in front of his house half an hour later. Sam waved goodbye as she backed out of the drive, before turning and entering the house.

His startled exclamation never even made it past his lips, as Dean's tight hug nearly knocked the breath out of him. "Hi Dean," he laughed as his brother greeted him with his customary embrace. He slipped his arms around his brother and rubbed a hand down his back, "Did you miss me?"

"Is soccer over for forever?" came the muffled reply against his neck.

Sam laughed again and shook his head, "Afraid not. It's over for today, though, and I need a shower." He smiled as the other's hold tightened momentarily and Dean's tongue trailed up the side of his neck. "Salty," his brother murmured before stepping back, allowing him to continue his trek through the house.

"Tease," Sam hissed with a mock glare, drawing a grin from Dean.

John and Bobby had commandeered the living room to watch sports after dinner, so Sam and Dean were in Sam's room. Sam was checking email and Dean was wandering the room, touching random objects and looking at everything. Hazel eyes shifted to Dean as the older Winchester asked,

"What's this?"

He glanced at the item in Dean's hand and answered,
"Black light paint."
The teen laid his laptop aside and moved to his desk. He opened a drawer and grabbed a small, oblong object out of it, then crossed to the closet. Dean watched curiously as he opened the door, then approached as Sam motioned for him.

"Don't tell Dad that me and Gabe painted on the walls," he said with a grin as he raised the object in his hand and flicked it on. A purplish light shone from it, on the wall: what had appeared to be a blank space now Sam's and Gabriel's names in white. "Only shows up under this type of light," he informed, shutting off the handheld light and offering it to Dean. He chuckled as Dean flicked the light back on, raising green eyes to stare at the names which appeared on the walls again.