Chapter Seven

"Today we're going out to the garden," Dyels announced as the pair finished their morning meal. Raven glanced up at him and frowned, her eyebrows drawing together in uncertainness.

"I'm not completely sure I can get up and move by myself yet..." Raven protested quizzically, remembering her weakness the past couple of weeks. The wizard had made her read and take notes on all the books he owned for nearly every day. He had begun to teach her stretches and helped her walk around, mostly to make potions or organize herbs that he brought in. Over a month had passed with her in his care, her learning more about magic and healing than she ever knew could exist.

The wizard looked her over critically, his mouth twitching upward into his characteristic smile that had begun to capture his good mood. "Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine young elf. Besides, it's about time that you recover fully. I haven't been pushing you physically because you've been using all your magic to heal and learn. Now, however, it's time to reveal that you are alive," Dyels explained, offering his pipe to Raven.

Raven accepted the pipe and took a few breaths of the foul smoke to clear her head the way the sorcerer had taught her. He was right. After all, she'd had time to process everything her father and Collin had told her, and she'd also had time to do what she wanted. Now she needed to tell them everything that happened and decide on a course of action. Elizen wasn't going to just control her like what Dyels said he wanted to do.

"How... Will I do it today?" Raven finally asked, handing the wizard his pipe. The wizard considered her for a moment and then nodded.

"It's the off day of the week and it's very early in the 'day' so it gives us time to prepare. I will not be going with you because I doubt your father would like that. He hates and distrusts me for good reason," Dyels tiredly recalled, softening his gaze as he stared out the window. Raven fell silent as she stacked the plates onto the platter neatly.

"How will I get by the guards? I don't have my identification papers anymore. I... I'm still quite weak. Why don't we wait till next week when I'm stronger?" Raven blurted out, cutting through the silence as she always did. The wizard barely batted an eye at this intrusion and he smiled at her, slowly getting to his feet.

"Follow me to the gardens and I'll show you a new magic technique. And I believe Elizen will be more inclined to listen to you if you still look weak and feverish. Pity will make him easy to work with," the wizard explained, his eyes mischievously meeting Raven's. Promptly turning, the wizard strode from the library and left Raven to struggle to her feet to follow.

When the pair reached the gardens, the wizard gently helped Raven sit on the warm grass. He had taught her the name of the plants he grew with his magic and some of the properties they carried. In the first week of the apprenticeship he had taught her various myths about magic were simply untrue: wands and staffs were quite unneeded to channel the life energy.

Raven ran her hands along the dirt underneath the grass and marveled at the soft, staining texture it left her hands. The hum of the magic was nearly overpowering so close to the border between the streets and the wizard's home. Dyels flicked his wrist in the direction of the gate and the buzz quieted, like a muffler was placed on it.

"I have a question," Raven broke the silence suddenly. Dyels cocked his eyebrow and he rolled up the sleeves of his wizard robe.

"And I have an answer," he replied, his old face reflecting a younger mirth. Raven laughed and shook her head wearily, tired of an old man's antics.

"How do wizards actually channel energy? If they don't do it through objects, how do they release it? According to the books there is a catalyst to all energy, but the most you do is wave your hand. There are no special words or movements in all that I've read. How I utilize the energy?" Raven asked.