Chapter Four

The first sensation Raven felt as she regained consciousness was a weird feeling of weightlessness. She felt fine, healthy even, though she had a vague recollection that this made no sense. She was supposed to be in pain, as far as her mind was concerned, though she could not remember why she would be. As she considered this puzzle, she noticed that the usual clamor and activity, even the buzzing sound of the lighting crystals, was absent. An odd crackling sound was the only thing her sensitive ears could detect.

    Within another few moments, Raven remembered that she could move her arms and legs and open her eyes, which she did so painlessly. As she began to focus her vision, she noticed that the ceiling above her looked like polished wood. She'd seen it before, that she was sure of. As she traced the figures carved into the wood, her hair gently fell into her eyes. She jolted inwardly, knowing that somehow, she shouldn't be able to see her hair anymore, though she still wasn't sure why.

    "I see you are finally up young master elf," a gruff voice piped up from beyond Raven's vision. Raven knew she should be surprised or scared, but she only struggled to sit up, her mind sluggishly processing that she wasn't able to sit up because her muscles had atrophied to the point of uselessness. A heavy hand slowly pushed her down again as an old man came into Raven's vision.

    "Don't sit up yet or try to move little one. At least, not today. Right now, your mind is in shock and is recovering. The body was easy to heal, though the head is another story. It will be a couple of days before you can remember what happened to you so don't worry if you can't immediately," the old man murmured, aware his crackly voice was painfully loud to Raven.

    "Thank you," Raven tried to whisper through her parched lips, aware to the point of knowing he had saved her life. The man's old face twisted into a sad, wistful smile and he gently closed her eyes, sending her into another deep sleep.

    After watching her chest rise and fall for a few minutes, the old wizard finally stood up and began gathering his potions and books, his old eyes twinkling in anticipation. He would have his apprentice, he would teach his knowledge, and the future generation which would set him free was finally trapped with him. The elf couldn't leave his domain without the soldiers finding her and sending her to a certain death.

    Even her family would be kept in the dark until Raven had regained all her memories and accepted her fate. Only then would he tip them off that their daughter had indeed survived because if she saw them right when her mind was recovering, it might set her off all over again. Dark Elves needed time to recover, as well as the High Bloods.