Chapter Ten

In the weeks that followed, Dyels mentored Raven in his trade, only giving Raven enough time to sleep during the night to recharge her energy for the next twelve-hour session and then loaded her with tasks to complete for the rest of the day. Each breakday, Raven begged to send word or see her family, but Dyels used those days for her to work around his cottage, putting all she had learned to work by herself whilst he disappeared for the whole day. In such way, four months had passed since that fateful day.

Raven sighed, running her hand through her shaggy hair. It felt like a lifetime had been spent in the wizard's care, and all of it a listless monotony that was inescapable and difficult. Her hands ached from pulling up weeds in the wizard's garden and from hauling pails of water to the plants. He had planted hundreds of healing herbs and the like for the upcoming battle.

Today was the harvest, Dyels claimed. He'd shown her how to speed up the growth process, and he'd also shown her the dangers of doing so. The art of magic was truly extensive and mysterious, with many unspoken rules to prevent adverse reactions to orders. Already, the entire storage room in the cottage was full of preserved herbs and potions that the pair of wizards had spent countless hours on.

Dyels had told her yesterday evening that he was going to use the last of his reserved energy to expand the storage room, bending the laws of physics whilst he did so. She had been preoccupied with organizing the potions and, so she'd let him go off alone to do the nigh-impossible task. That morning she'd discovered him sound asleep in the expanded storage room, and determined to leave him be. If he was going to participate in the battle, he would need his rest.

Clutched in her hands now was a species of plant that was nearly impossible to place except by the distinct smell. It was poisonous to humans but a lifeline for elves. Dyels had told her that they could either use it to poison the soldier's food supply, or to save fallen soldiers lives. He predicted that if the battle was a success, the army would need the powerful plants to nourish them. Each of the plants had a purpose.

Raven scrunched her eyebrows together and yanked the plant out of the ground. Nothing beat using her hands for hard labor, though. The thorns poked into the calluses of her hands and she unflinchingly pulled them out, reflecting on the uses each of the plants would offer. This one should be dried and petrified, she determined, flicking the tendrils of dirt off the roots.

Out of the corner of her eye, Raven glimpsed Dyels slowly meandering out into the fake sunlight. The wizard tapped on the ground for a moment and then came to stand beside Raven. "I'm going out again. You can finish up by yourself and I'll let you decide what you're going to grow next. Don't plant anything until tomorrow, after you've replenished the soil's nutrients. You know the rest," Dyels instructed her, already heading toward the gate.

"Wait! Dyels?" Raven called after him, scrambling to her feet. Dyels gave a long sigh and turned, his expression already resigned to hearing her beg to see her family again. Raven stood across, unflinchingly.

"When is the battle? And what are you doing when you leave once a week? Why do you go out so much? And why won't you let me?" she demanded, taking a different tactic than usual. Dyels furrowed his large eyebrows and fidgeted, indecision clear on his face. Raven simply waited for his reply.

"I've been gathering my fellow wizards and we have been enlisting the wizarding army. This past month we've been training everyone we could, even those who are barely able to connect with their magic at all. All these connections will make the next generation of children extremely attuned to their energy, but I see no problem in that," Dyels eventually explained.

"You knew I was doing something of that sort, did you not?" Dyels asked, cocking his eyebrow at Raven. She gave an inclined nod and he tapped his staff impatiently. "Then why did you ask me?" he snapped, turning to leave. Raven hesitated uncertainty, and her pause made Dyels turn around to face her again.

"Then why do you leave me alone instead of letting me help? And is that why you've been gone so much? And why won't you let me leave also? Am I to be your slave?" Raven questioned. Dyels gave her a long, probing look before he sighed.

"You are not my slave, Raven. You couldn't help me before because you're still just learning the basics. Also," Dyels hesitated, unsure if he should tell Raven, "this city has changed for the worse. I didn't want you to go out and find a very different society than when you last saw it."

Raven stared at the wizard for a brief second, contemplating the implications of what he was telling her. "You mean to say that the situation is worse? How?" she whispered, fear clutching her soft, horrified words. Dyels winced and shook his head, regretting the callous way he'd delivered the news.

"The town warden learned of your disappearance. You, daughter of an old warlord, who used to, in his mind, lead a rebellion. The warden suspects that the widespread rebellion over the last few years was orchestrated by your father. These humans are not blind. They are much smarter than you or I would wish," Dyels puffed his pipe a moment, gathering his thoughts again.

"In other words, your sudden disappearance, and the fact you are now of age, has led him to believe a massive rebellion will be led by you. He has increased the soldiers, the regulations, the punishments, and has taken away the breakdays. Completely," he averted his gaze from Raven and turned to look at the ripe garden.

"Isn't that what we're doing? Won't it be far harder to plan this battle?" Raven murmured, her thoughts racing. If all the soldiers were suspecting a rebellion, any indication of involvement would be severely counteracted. All preparations must be made with high caution and even that might not be enough. Within seconds, Raven understood the caution and fear behind Dyels's actions.

"Why didn't you tell me all that was going on?" she demanded, turning on the old wizard in fury. "I might've been able to help with the planning! As it is, there is only a week before the attack and I'm none the wiser with all the plans. I must talk to Elizen soon!" she hissed, throwing down the plant she had so delicately pulled up.

"I wanted you as prepared as possible for this battle. I didn't want you to be thinking over anything else. I also desired for all our preparations to be complete. And truly, after today, all your work here will be finished. All my designs I keep to myself, Raven, for the good of all people," Dyels explained, wearily leaning on his staff.

Raven was struck speechless, her sharp eyes meeting the wizard's own, and in that moment, she knew the wizard had lied. He wasn't going to assist in the battle. He was manipulating her like Elizen had warned. He wasn't going to send anyone to assist her father. It was going to be a slaughterhouse, not a winning battle like everyone hoped.

"You liar!" Raven shrieked, throwing herself toward the gate. The brightly lit garden and hum of magic seeped of evil and seduction, repulsively apparent now. The kindly wizard wasn't all that he seemed. He was a bent, old man, his thoughts perverse and his mouth smooth as honey. He was manipulating Raven into a lifetime of servitude and magic, and he aimed to send her family out to their deaths to win Raven over forevermore.

Dyels scowled fiercely and the grandfather mask slid from his face within a heartbeat. "You are not going anywhere," he snarled, lifting up his hand. Raven's entire body froze, mid step, her hand outstretched to grasp the gate handle. The wave of magic was overpowering and stifling, forcing her into submission.

"Oh, you poor soul, you should've read that paper you signed. You are mine now, forever. My own," Dyels crooned, stroking the side of Raven's face. Raven's thoughts raced and she met the gaze of the wizard again, recognizing the man's intent with her. He wanted to know her.

"Please let me go," Raven managed to cry, her throat closing in fear and desperation. Her heart was beating rapidly, her palms clammy with dread, and her entire body frozen to the wizard's whims. This was her fault, and now no one would know to save her. The man's fetid breath plunged into her face and Raven cried, for the first time in years.