Chapter Fourteen

Saturday morning brought blue skies, warm crumpets, and blackberry jam. Saturday afternoon brought a nervous V and a distant Will bouncing up and down in a carriage along the road leading to Buckingham Palace. Will had gone over the etiquette and conversation required of high tea with the Queen of England herself. Upon their arrival, the two were ushered out the back of the palace to a beautiful garden.

It was even grander than Will's own garden. Sprawling lawns, bordered by immaculately trimmed hedges, extended far beyond where they stood. A small hedge maze, high enough to not see over, covered a small expanse of the lawn to east. Topiary's of various woodland creatures, freshly cut, lined the outskirts of the maze. The rich fragrance of exotic flowers reached V's

nose, and she pivoted to see a large building of glass to west. Inside, a gardener was watering a variety of flowers she could recognize, and a hundred more she couldn't. The colours emanating from within reminded her of a fresco in the Hamilton home – a painting by the Duchess of Stratford herself. Perhaps the late Duchess had spent more than her fair share of time in these gardens.

V hastened her pace ever so slightly to catch up with Will and their butler guide. Will had instructed her on the manners of a woman of her fake class. She mustn't run; therefore, she was walking just a little faster than was appropriate.

As they descended the marble staircase to the stone patio below, V took a better look at the assembled party. A short, rectangular table stood in the centre of the fray. Four large, cushioned settee's surrounded the table. They were covered in pale pink upholstery, and each held three

matching pillows. A plump woman was seated on the settee closest to the maze. Her silky brown hair was tucked under a braid and pinned into place. She wore a remarkable assortment of

jewels, some around her neck, and some in her hair. When she raised her arms, V saw that each finger held at least one ring, and each wrist at least three bracelets.

"His Grace, the Duke of Stratford," the butler announced their arrival to the lounging aristocrats, "and Lady Violet Gibbrey of Denshire."

Will bowed, and V followed suite. She curtseyed the way Mrs. Mason had inflicted in her for several hours this morning. She pulled one foot behind the other, gently bent her knees, grabbed hold of one corner of her gown, and bent her neck ever so slightly. Keeping eye contact with the queen until the very last second, when she dipped a tad lower, before rising to her full height. She smiled a little, congratulating herself, it had been a perfect curtsey. V's eyes met that of the stranger who had previously been in conversation with the queen. He smiled at her, and she found herself looking away as if there were anything more interesting then him in this grandiose arrangement.

"My lady." the stranger said, bowing with a flourish of his hands. V found it difficult not to giggle. This strange world she had been thrust upon had the most ridiculous customs. V figured any lady in her right mind might have found this gesture flattering. Luckily for V, she was not really a lady.

"I am delighted to have the opportunity of your attention," his melodic voice encircled V until she found herself the only one in the room.

V stuck her arm out as instructed. The gentleman pecked a small kiss on the top of her hand, watching her eyes without hesitation. His lips lingered for a second, sending a flurry of nerves up V's spine.

"The pleasure is all mine, I assure you." She smiled in return, hopeful to cover up the only thing that could discredit her being there – rookie's jitters.

Out of the corner of her, she noticed the Queen speaking animatedly with Will. Perhaps as an excuse of retiring from both of their situations, Will politely excused himself from the Queen and joined both of their conversations to the tea set out before them. V marvelled at the skill by