Chapter Sixteen

The night of the Autumn Ball finally arrived. It was a splendid evening for the occasion; slivers of sunlight shone through the black clouds of the season, and country fields had long been filled with the red, oranges, and yellows associated with this time of year. In all, the Autumn Ball was sure to be a success.

Will waited in the foyer. He was impatient, as ever, impatient not for the ball itself, which was sure to be as long and boring as usual, but for the events sure to unfold during these times; namely, the use of V as bait, and the reveal of Richard Gellentry's true intentions.

And so, Will paced. Mr. Mulberry had placed a small glass of scotch in his hand a few minutes earlier, and, as opposite to his own character, Will had downed it in one gulp.

But now he waited for V to descend the grand staircase. He had had a magnificent custom gown created for this very occasion. Mrs. Mason and a young maid, skilled in hairstyling, had disappeared into V's room nearly an hour and a half earlier. Will wasn't sure how the dress would suit her, but he hoped she liked it.

Finally, Mrs. Mason and the maid appeared at the top of the grand, rounded staircase. They both stepped aside, as Mrs. Mason – in true ballroom fashion – announced the arriving guest.

"Presenting, Lady Violet." Mrs. Mason was beaming as her masterpiece stepped forwards. Will's heart jumped. It leaped. It dropped to the pit of his stomach and crawled up into the back of his throat. He could hear his blood pumping in his veins, and yet, the only thing he was truly aware of was the beautiful girl at the top of the staircase.

He couldn't take his eyes off of her. He watched her carefully and gracefully descend the stairs. She wore the dress he had had made for her – and it was perfect.

The lace bodice was enveloped by a covering of fabric, connecting the shoulders to the waist. Long, flowing sleeves hung from her shoulders, pinned at her elbows, and dropped effortlessly past her wrists. From the waist, a sheath of ruffled silk covered her backside, and wrapped around front to reveal a simple, single-coloured gown beneath. The entire ensemble was in various shades and hues of purples, violets, and indigos It was simple, yet elegant. Grand, yet humble. In all, the gown comprised exactly who V was. Her simple black walking shoes peeked out from the body of the gown as she came forwards. The silks swished and swayed as she moved, and every tiny gem on her gown and jewels sparkled in the light. She wore a concise necklace of amethyst stones, a few golden rings on her fingers, and from each ear hung three strands of gold chains, attached to which was each an emerald pearl. Also hanging around her

neck, was a golden chain. Will could only assume this was the locket – and it was hidden beneath her corset. Her green eyes popped from beneath the black khol surrounding them. Deep violet powder adorned her upper eye lids, and her lips were bright red. V's hair was in a sort of half-up- half-down style. Her curly brown locks had been left alone, and a simple set of golden, emerald pins held it out of her face and sent it cascading down her right side.

Will could now see what a beautiful creature his friend had become. No, she had always been like this: he had just been too blind to see it until now.

Mr. Mulberry's soft voice whispered in his ear, "Sir, you might consider closing your mouth." Will wasn't aware his mouth had been hanging open. Well, he wasn't aware of anything other than her.

She reached the bottom landing, and Will momentarily forgot the evening's purpose. He envisioned himself dancing with V all night, drinking champagne and eating tiny sandwiches as grandiose couples of the aristocracy twirled and leaped about.

Mr. Mulberry nudged him, and the dream lost, Will's formal training kicked in, and he bowed to the girl. She curtseyed back, and asked, "How do I look?"