Chapter 12

The passing buildings were numbers on a clock, and they were it's hands, passing through them, desperately hoping the numbers didn't run out. The bus had grown quiet as everyone had shared their stories, Ashton drove the vehicle forward in silence, drumming his fingers absentmindedly against the wheel. Moon had decided on wanting to sit up the front with him again, to see the road ahead as they followed it. They shared the experience of simply waiting, they were all waiting. For what, however, was not yet clear.

It was a similar situation in the plane currently flying from Paris to Edinburgh, as three people sat back in their seats, awake yet nonspeaking, but very aware of each other's consciousness. There was an undeniable sense of impending doom in both scenarios, which went unspoken but clouded the minds of all of them. The aircraft was landing soon, drawing invisible circles above the airport, ready for the signal to land. Michael's head at the time felt similar to its movements; his mind was spinning in different directions. He didn't feel ready to think about these things yet, though his mind was drifting there anyway.

It was now that they were getting back, that Michael questioned, was this really what he had wanted? His schedule was so hectic, it was beautiful to have an escape from the pressures. No, there was always pressure, but this was different, it was finding a solution this time. The pressures of touring the world were constant. And although it had occurred in a different way than he would have expected, he was glad it had happened at all. He had needed a break from the tour, and had got more than he had bargained for.

He looked over to Kakkii and Megs. Megs was in the same position as earlier, looking at the Earth below as it looked less like toy figures and more like what was familiar and dear to them: the world was coming back to them, and reality was vast approaching. Kakkii's eyes were closed and her hand was still clasped in his, as if a slight bump could separate them. But it wasn't a bump she should fear, Michael thought, it was time. The pilot spoke over the tannoy, the seat-belt sign lit up, and they felt the plane drop gradually closer to reality.

"This has been kind of amazing, hasn't it?" Moon voiced in the silence, and everyone pricked up to listen.

"I mean, a day ago we wouldn't have known each other, and now we've broken Luke out of jail together,"

"I agree with you, Moon," Caits spoke up, with Lemon nodding beside her.

"Even though everything kind of went to shit, I'm really glad to have met you all at all," Calum said, looking at everyone in turn, his gaze lingering for a moment on Lemon, as a smile grew on his lips. "Really, really glad."

Michael looked at Kakkii, and their eyes held each other's gaze. As they felt themselves drop closer to the ground, Michael closed his eyes and leaned in, their lips connecting with care and precision. Michael ran his fingers through her hair slowly, looking deeply into her eyes before they moved apart.

"Hey," Luke had positioned himself next to Caits, who had been looking at the floor, replaying the day in her mind. She nearly jumped with the shock of blue eyes on hers.

"... Hey," she replied uneasily.

"I just wanted to talk abou-"

"Last night?"

"YES. Aw I'm so-"

"I'm so sorry too, I didn't ev-"

But Caits couldn't finish her sentence, as Luke had grabbed her and pulled her into an all-consuming hug, wrapping his arms fully around her like a bear. She reciprocated immediately, clutching around his torso, neither loosening their grip on the other.

"I wish we had forever," Michael whispered, his eyes closed, breathing slowly against Kakkii.

A plane landed and a bus drove through the outskirts of the same city. The sun was setting, and daylight was not the only thing running out.