III. Reunion

Hi kids. Vote and comment all the way :) I need opinions. Please?
Enjoy the fruit of my mind.

-

My hand dropped the card to my lap, as I read it for the ninth time in my car. My brain had been so slow all night, but that time, I was hundred percent sure of what I was reading.

The card was clearly from the new Chancellor. But from the last word I read, the card was from none other than Aaron Thomas who had been the only one in the car with me. The truth was obvious, so obvious, but my mind refused to accept it. My eyes shut close, as I massaged my temples.

The Chancellor had been in the passenger seat of the car. I slapped my face with my own hands, as I gave kicks to the pedals.
You dumb! I shouted to myself, as I let my head fall against the wheel. I could feel heat forming on my forehead, as it actually hurt. This was mental torture, I told myself. A few tears unexpectedly escaped from my eyes, without me understanding. My mind was exhausted due to a myriad of facts that happened to me.

The men were observing me, trying to understand my lingering presence in front of them, instead of running away instantly. I decided to put the engine on and drive away from them. No more tear pearled from my eyes. However, an odd feeling held me tight, almost taking the rest of my strength away.

I could not even focus on my driving. Thanks at night no more car circulated. My only goal was reaching my house as fast as possible. The agreeable thought had harassed for weeks and weeks but tonight a certain Aaron Thomas who turned out to be the Chancellor Styles had shaded it. No one but my family could understand the mental fatigue I was experiencing.
The building where my family and I settled two years ago was still far away.

In opposite to the North, there were rare streetlamps to enlighten your way. Despite the two years I spent there, I still could not get used to the South. I always had to roll my windows up to avoid the smell and the loud music. The dirt, the old-clothed people sleeping in the streets around a small fire, water covering the streets, the destroyed buildings... everything tore my heart apart. I wish I could close my eyes and ignore their distress. However, I had to see the pain to give me the strength to fight the government.

Ten years ago, there was not such a difference between the two sides of Huntsville. Now, it is all ruins in the South. People used to have good and decent jobs in industries, hotels, schools and even hospitals, which suddenly had disappeared when the new Government settled. Now, having a job was as rare, as finding some water in a desert. They did not have much of a choice. They quitted their suburban houses for indecent and insalubrious buildings and some, as a last resort, sold their bodies to the rich northern people or follow the Government, as Ben did.

All of this because of the Government's selfishness.

Before I could even think of anything else, I realized that my car was pulling up in a calmer neighborhood, my neighborhood. My home was in the corner of the street. I stopped my car, a few meters away from the building. I developed that routine since my father and his friends created The Wing. My family would be safer if our cars were parked in front of an abandoned building, instead of our five-story building.

I gathered the box, card together, and got ready to get out. It was cold outside, thanks to the officer who gave me such a comfortable sweatshirt. My body was about to give out, only a few steps away from the main door of the family building. My steps were so heavy that I could picture my body swallowed up by the ground, like in quicksand.

A lashing noise startled me on my way. My heart jumped in my chest when the noise could be identified as a gunshot. It was very near, maybe a few blocks away. It also reminded me that the South was also the most dangerous area of Huntsville. Another gunshot followed it. Then another one, another one... until I got used to it, again. I reached the main door, which miraculously opened when I was about to knock.