V. Threat

Hi hoy! Dont forget to hit the star!
Nice reading!

-

“Collin, Collin, Collin,” the male voice said into my ear while he firmly held my wrist. “You are so stubborn, and that’s going to kill you, one day.”

The flash of memory was shaken off, as the Chancellor’s fingers tightened around my arm. The pain was nothing much to worry about, but it did not stop me from hating his firm grip. When he released me, I heard his footsteps towards his desk.

It could mean that he let me free. It could also mean that he was waiting for me to fulfill his wish. While I pondered about the outcome of the situation, I attempted to learn from my past mistakes. I could distinctly hear the Chancellor McKay tell me how my impulsiveness would make me run to my death.

During this ounce of discernment, I slowly turned around. I had just decided to be logical for once in my life, by marching back to Mr. Styles.
He did not look at me, his eyes glued to the wooden board he had formerly placed on his desk. It happened to be a chessboard.

“Well, you made the best choice.” He said, but did not look up at me. He was placing every pawn at its right spot. “Do you play chess, Miss Knight?”

“No, it isn’t my cup of tea.” Such games did bore me to death. My father and I used to play chess every night after dinner. But I only did that to make him happy and spend some time with him.

I sat down.

Something had changed. Something had clearly changed.

It might be the atmosphere. It was lighter, as if he formerly did not intend to break my arm. I helped him place the pawns that were quite heavy. They were golden and black. The golden ones were mine while the black ones were his. They were particularly elegant. I could remember that my father had the same.

“Do you have any idea why I invited you before inviting an important person?” he asked, finally gazing up to me. We started to play and move our pawns.

“With the government it’s always the same,” I started, checking his face. He did not seem to want to interrupt me for attacking the government again. He even seemed to want me to explain further. “You’re all fond of intimidation, you want to play mouse and cat with the population. My presence is a kind of distraction for you. Am I wrong?”

A chuckle escaped his lips, as I made another move with my golden pawn. He moved one of his pawns forward, too, in response to my first attack.

“You might be a distraction. But, in all honesty, before leaving L.A. I heard a lot about you.” He stated, leaning in the back of his seat. “The reporter who is a pain in the ass for every Chancellor. I think, last night, you didn’t get something about me. I’m not just an ‘idiot’.”

His voice had raised and I could tell he hadn’t appreciated my criticism from last night. I could not argue with him. He was very well informed about me, which I did not understand since I was just a simple drop in the sea. A drop that should not attract attention, at all.

“I’m sorry if I offended your ego, Mr. Styles.” I mockingly said while I moved a knight. It happened to be my favorite pawn and my family name explained it well. “I know you aren’t just an idiot. Since last night, I also know you’re a Hollywoodian idiot.”

There was a clear reference to his whole masquerade of the night before. There was only an unquestionable thing about tonight: he made me leave jail. I did not understand why, but he had planned the whole invasion. It exposed me how the man was a complex personage already.