IV. Capricious

Hi everyone! Feedbacks are welcomed haha...

-

As I quitted our small apartment, different stares crossed my eyes. My family was torn between letting me go and keeping me in my room. My parents were completely opposed to me paying a visit to the Chancellor. The last time I stepped in the Town Hall, I put myself in such a danger that they were going paranoid whenever I left the house.

They lost faith in me, they did not think I was capable of defending myself. In the other hand, my brother clearly pressed me to go. Seb, as the main Leader of the Wing all over the country, wished to know more about the new Chancellor. He did not care much about the consequences of the invitation.

He had one obsession: learning to know his adversaries. The Chancellor of Huntsville, the capital was first in line.

My emotions were between my parents’ obvious paranoia and my brother’s determination. A deep breath helped me take the final decision, as I stepped in the streets.

Cold wind slapped my face once out, so I put my beanie on. I glanced one last time, at my brother who smiled at me. His face was dead serious, despite the smile he attempted.

I walked towards the black limousine parked right in front of my house. Despite the danger my family was put in, our address was no secret to anyone. If they wanted to assail us, then, they could. However, no one did it – not yet.

The chauffeur welcomed me and opened the door. It was incredible how he sent a limousine with a chauffeur to welcome me. The Chancellor surprised me, one more time, after the chocolates, I thought the fake attentions towards me would end. But no.

I slid into the back of the outrageously luxurious car. I was disagreeably met with a woman I had no respect for. She was the executive assistant to every Chancellor. Executive assistant to the Chancellor meant devil’s assistant, the one who did the dirty work for him.

The leather chairs were comfortable. A delicious scent of lavender filled the car. The air conditioning provided me the warmth I needed after dealing with the cold air in the street. All of this made me reminisce. It often happened that I missed my old life.

“Ms. Knight,” Her eyes made her look harsh, with her thick make-up and the black lipstick. “Welcome back. I thought you’d make some efforts in your style to welcome the new Chancellor.”

“Ms. Templeton, I don’t dress up for someone I have no respect for.” I muttered under my breath. However, she was right about my way of dressing. In all honesty, making me beautiful for such a condescending man was the least thing I wanted. I had black skinny jeans and converses on, which were comfortable. But if I ever stood in the streets, someone would confuse me with a beggar with my big coat.

As we were driven through the South side, a heavy headache could be felt at the back of my head. Looking by the window had always been some sort of medicine; however, all of them were tinted in black to hide what was happening outside. So I rolled one down to breathe some ‘fresh’ air.
It saddened me to see so many people outside, dealing with the cold because their only house was old buildings with no roof.

“You shouldn’t open the window.” The woman dryly advised while looking straight in front of her.
“You don’t want to see what you’ve done to the South?” my voice came out mocking. She didn’t seem to appreciate the view of poor people waiting in a queue for food, the makeshift houses and tumbledown buildings. How ironic!

She shut her mouth until we reached the North side. The more we approached the Town Hall, the more my stomach hurt. I could distinctly feel a knot that I could not get rid of, form inside me. My mind commanded me to run away. However, my body could not make a small move, even when the driver opened the door for me.