The Starting Goalie

The next day, Megan would decide who would start in goal for the first game of the tournament. Megan had to decide between Audrey, Amanda, and Erin. Erin was the most experienced of the three but she doesn't really communicate well with her teammates. Audrey performed the best of the three in the first three scrimmages. Amanda was the rookie of the three and Megan was worried that she won't be able to handle the pressure.

Before the last scrimmage, Megan decided to do a training session focusing on the goalkeepers. Megan told Aja she would lead the practice. The goalkeeping session would test the three goalie candidates to see who could perform the best under pressure. The tests would include a footwork test and a test to show the goalie's reaction time. To be a good goalkeeper, you have good footwork. Audrey was elected to go first in the footwork drill. In the footwork drill, Aja was chosen as the shooter and the goalie had to keep moving along the goalline. When a shot is taken, the goalie had to react as quickly as possible to try to save the ball.

The three goalies would each get 10 attempts and the one with the most saves would win the test. Audrey only allowed four goals out of 10, then Erin went and got six saves as well. Amanda got five saves so Megan decided to give five more shots to Audrey and Erin. Erin got 4 out of 5 saves and Audrey got 3 out of 5. Erin has the edge going into the final scrimmage.

The final scrimmage would be against the Shooting Stars from the Galaxy Soccer Club. This would be one of the teams Aja would play in the tournament. Erin found out that she would start the scrimmage, while Audrey would play the second half. Amanda was no longer in the running to be the starting goalie for the first game and she was disappointed. The Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. Erin had 5 saves. At halftime, Aja had 3 goals and her team was up 4-0. Erin finished with 10 saves and Audrey got warmed up during halftime. Aja noticed that Amanda was being quieter than usual. She couldn't do anything about Amanda until after the scrimmage. Aja played well and finished with 4 goals and her team won the scrimmage 6-1.

After the scrimmage, Megan met with Audrey, Amanda, and Erin. "I am proud of all of you for giving your best effort to win the starting role for the first game. I hope my decision is the best one. I am proud to say that Erin will start the first game. Audrey and Amanda, I will play one of you in the second half." Megan told the three anxious girls.

Amanda felt bad that she didn't get the starting role. She wasn't giving full effort in the goalkeeping training sessions. Aja knew something was up and as captain, it was her responsibility to make sure her head was in the game.

"Amanda, I have noticed you are not putting forth your best effort during training sessions. What's wrong?" Aja said, looking worried.

"I really wanted the starting role. I guess Megan doesn't think I am good enough to play in a real game." Amanda replied.

"Amanda, I know you really wanted the starting role, but you should be happy that you were given the chance to compete for the starting role. Plus, you are good enough but Erin deserves the starting role." Aja said.

"I have to learn how to appreciate the opportunities that are given to me and not focus on the negative. I will support and encourage my teammates." Amanda replied.