A True Test

It was time for the game and Aja was excited. Aja talked to her team about what they needed to do successfully to win the game.

"I know you are confident that we will win but as you know nothing is guaranteed. Just go out there and play your heart out." Aja reminded her team.

The Cardinals would kick off the ball and the game was underway. The scoring got underway quickly with Emma scoring her first goal of the game. The Yellow Jackets didn't panic and Aja responded with her own goal to tie the game. Emma scored again five minutes later for the Cardinals to make it 2-1. Carly who started the game scored to tie the game again. At halftime, the score was 3-2 after Sophia scored her first goal of the game.

At halftime, the teams decided to have a juggling competition featuring the All-Star juggling teams from each team. Aja, Cassidy, Courtney and Morgan would represent the Circus Juggling Club out of the Yellow Jacket Soccer Club. The rules of the competition were simple, if you drop your ball, you are out. Rebecca was the first one out then Courtney was the next one out. After five more girls got out, it was done to just Aja, Cassidy and Emma. Cassidy was the third place finisher.

Since halftime was almost over, Megan decided to end the competition and declare Aja and Emma as co-champions. Aja gathered her team to tell them "You did a great job in the first half, let's keep this momentum going."

Aja passed the ball to Sophia who got her shot saved by Savannah. Aja scored on the rebound after Savannah couldn't secure the ball. After the goal, the score was 4-2 Yellow Jackets. Emma responded quickly and made the game an one-goal game. Aja passed the ball to Cassidy who scored her first goal of the tournament. Now the score was 5-3 with 20 minutes left in the game. Carly was subbed out and Morgan was subbed in and Morgan made an impact right away by saving a shot by Emma on the goal line(amazing!). Morgan got knocked down in the penalty box and her team was awarded a penalty kick but Savannah easily saved Aja's shot.

The game finished with a 5-4 score after Emma scored four goals in the game. After the game, Aja, Carly, Sophia, Maggie and Emma were named to one of the six all-star teams from local soccer clubs to compete in an All Star qualifying Tournament which would take place in a few weeks.

When Aja got home, Aja took a nap then told her mom her news. Her mom was excited for Aja. Aja went up to her room to write in her diary.

Dear Diary,

I am so tired after the long day I had today. In the first game, I noticed my team had chemistry and worked very well together. I enjoyed competing in the skill competitions. The second game was tougher but my team kept fighting until the end. After the game, Megan told me that I had earned my spot on an All-Star team. I know what tournament I am playing in mext. I am excited to compete in another tournament.

Aja had a day without any games the next day. She had the dribbling competition to compete in that day. Erin and Audrey had a goalkeeping training session that day. Amanda was the backup goalie but Erin and Audrey had earned their spots in a training session with Tricia Solo who is one of the best goalkeepers in the high school game. Tricia won two state championships with her high school team and plays for the U18 team with the Yellow Jacket Soccer Club. Her U18 team was not playing in the tournament. The U18 team would play in a national showcase a week later.

Erin and Audrey began their training session by meeting Tricia while Aja began the dribbling competition.

Aja's first race would be against Jenny who was the fifteenth seed. Jenny finished 2-1 in group play. Aja won her race against Jenny and would move on to face either Kylie or Hannah. Carly also won her race so she would face either Aubrey or Brenda. Avery won her race easily and would face either Anabella or Jillian. The winners of the Round of 16 matches were Aja, Avery, Carly, Aubrey, Jillian, Kylie, Sami, and Christina.

The quarterfinal matches were:

Avery vs Jillian

Christina vs Sami

Aja vs Kylie

Aubrey vs Carly

The quarterfinal matches would start soon after the girls cooled down from the first races. The first race of the quarterfinals would Aubrey vs Carly. Carly stood on the line waiting for her race and Aja whispered "You got this!" to her. That worked because she won the race by a hair. Carly was now in the semifinals and would race against Aja or Kylie. Aja got ready for her race and saw that she would face her friend if she won.

Aja got the win and was excited to race her friend. The race between Christina and Sami resulted in a photo finish so they would have to race again. Sami took advantage and won the race. Avery won her race easily.

...

It all came down to this, win and you are in the championship match. Aja knew she wanted to win the championship. But would it be worth it to beat your friend and teammate to make it to the final? What if beating would hurt Carly's feelings? Aja wanted to be sure Carly wouldn't be disappointed if she lost.

"I am so glad I am racing against my friend. I hope you don't get hurt if I beat you." Aja said to Carly.

" I wouldn't mind if you beat me as long as you win the whole thing." Carly replied. Aja was happy that Carly supported her winning the whole thing. The Yellow Jackets had two of their players qualify for the semifinals. Megan met with the two girls before the semifinals. Megan told the girls to race their heart out and she didn't care who won. Aja found out the semifinals and final would be in a best-out-of three format. Each player would race themselves three times and the highest time would count. If Aja beats Carly on time, she would move on. For her first trial, Aja registered a time of 15.06. Carly registered a 15.00 time for her first trial. Aja registered a 14.96 for her second time. Carly registered a 15.01 for her second time. For Aja's last run, she registered a time of 15.30 since she was tired. Carly went her slowest in the last run with a time of 15.24. Aja was excited when she had moved on to face Sami who upset Avery. Avery was the top seed and was the favorite to win.

...

It was time for the championship match. The format was changed once again and now Aja and Sami would face off in a dribbling around cones competition. This match would pit once teammates now rivals against each other. Aja ended up winning the race and making her team proud. Sami fought until the end. Aja was off for the rest of the day. She trained with the Yellow Jackets to help the team bond. Aja relaxed for the rest of the day. She would have to be ready for her team's third game tomorrow.