Not Fade Away

She has moved out. There is no looking back now, she is sure of it. Her things are piled into the musty living room of the old house. She has paid the deposit and first months rent out of her paycheck. Now there isn't much room left for the grocery budget. A Snickers bar from the gas station will serve as dinner tonight.

God. She could hear her mother's
shrill voice in her head as she pulled her mattress to one corner. "Tori Nicole Miller! You get your scrawny ass back in this house right this minute!!!". When she slammed the door as she climbed into her mustard yellow Ford Pinto just an hour earlier.

The old car was packed with so many clothes and cardboard boxes that she couldn't even see her parents house as she tore down the gravel driveway. It was for the best she had not seen it, she thought in her head.
Or perhaps she would have turned back. No, she couldn't bear the idea of being in that house another minute. Her father was a fairly abusive one.

Tori tried to put those bitter memories away as she stacked the few plates and saucers she owned into one of the dusty old cupboards.
She would bury those feelings deep down. That wouldn't be the only thing she would be burying at this new place of hers. But that would be for another day.