Chapter 5: Surprises Are Meant To Be Unexpected

"Master, you're up so early."

Upon entering the kitchen, Sophie noticed that Akio was already cooking their breakfast: bacon, fried bread, fried eggs, fried tomatoes, sausages and baked beans. He also brewed some green tea for the British girl and himself.

"It takes time to prepare. We'll be having guests and my sisters will be tired from their journey. By the way do you prefer coffee or tea?"

As he was speaking, he turned off the stove and placed the fried food into two separate plates.

"I'll be having tea. Thank you, master."

"No problem. Sophie, I would like you to be on your best behaviour when you meet my sisters. But don't forget to be yourself."

"It's kind of weird and confusing if you put it that way."

"Then let me rephrase that sentence." Akio paused for a bit and poured some tea into seperate mugs before continuing.

"Be on your best behaviour but don't hurt yourself from trying too hard." 

Suddenly, Sophie remembered something from seeing Akio prepare their food.

"By the way, master. Will you really teach me how to cook?"

"Yes. I promise you that. I'll teach you every dinner preparation."

"Yay! That includes tonight then."

"Yeah. And whether or not my sisters approve of your stay, I would still teach you until you have learned all you need to know."

"Thank you, master. This means a lot," said Sophie in a low yet happy voice.

============================================================

"Was our little Sophie a bother to you in these last few days, mister Akio?"

The one who asked that question in a lady-like manner was someone who knew of Sophie ever since she was eight years old. The little British doll named Sophie called her Athene.

Her figure was just mildly bulkier than an ideal professional model; she was not thin but physically fit. She wore a pink knitted sweater with the sleeves pulled up to the elbows over a plain white dress that reached her thighs. She used black colored stockings and wore brown leather boots with heels. Her semi-long black hair was tied behind her in a ponytail, while her bangs hanged 'bouncily' over her forehead. Her face didn't look serious and was almost the opposite of her behavior (according to Sophie's experiences).

She was accompanied by Kriem and Chloe.

Kriem wore her usual gray office wear.

Chloe was a few centimeters smaller than Sophie. She had a healthy figure, a face that looks mature for her age and black hair that reached past her shoulders. She wore a white dress with a black ribbon below the location of where the front collar should be on a shirt. She wore a pair of white doll shoes with black ribbons and white knee-high socks. She also had a black headband with a white ribbon on its left side. Like Sophie, she looked like a doll with her clothes.

Athene, Kriem and Chloe arrived at the library by six in the morning and were currently being served tea and some snacks in the living room.

"Nope, not at all."

Akio smiled while giving his reply to Athene's question.

"Actually, she was a big help in the preparation of the snacks. I was in a bit of a predicament earlier when I needed to prepare more food than usual."

"I see. Well I'm relieved to hear that she was of no burden to you."

"Yeah, I agree with Athene. I thought she would still be sleeping by this hour."