Changed Affairs

"Are you going to consider going out with me now, as you know your boyfriend is getting engaged" Brandon approached Ashley's desk with a sly look on his face, his sleek black Balenciaga seems have to added more ego to his already egoistical self as he walked over. Ashley couldn't miss that knowing smirk, she knew it too well, and missed it as well. If there was one thing she liked most about Brandon, it was his ego. It matched so much with hers.

The bell had gone off for lunch break but Ashley had remain seated, staring intently at the blank space in front of her. She wasn't thinking, she wasn't worrying about anything she was plotting. Her mind going over a thousand reasons of how she could hate someone who was so close to her. But to her, she made herself believe it wasn't her fault. Nothing could ever be her fault, she was far too perfect to be the cause of anything.

The contoured part of her face seemed to have grown darker as Brandon approached her, her eyes following his every movement as he made himself comfortable on her desk.

"What are you plotting now? It's the only time you ever get serious"

"What do you want Croft?" She asked him, clearly not in the mood to deal with him. She really just wanted to be alone but Brandon wouldn't even see to that.

"Why do you hate me Ashley?" Brandon asked a bit solemn, but a sly smirk tugging at the end of his lips.

"Hate?" She gave him a surprised look, wondering where the hell that came from. She wasn't even ready to answer that now, or anytime soon. A lot of things had changed and she wished Brandon would understand, but no he felt there was a reason to why everything had happened. But she was going to blame him anyways, she was never going to blame herself for anything that happened between them. It had to be Brandon's fault, it just had to be. Ashley Van de Buren was way too perfect to be at fault.

"There's too much gel on your hair, it's distracting" Ashley said quickly as she reached for her bag attempting to leave, but Brandon held her back.

"Ashley" Brandon called in a knowing tone, and she recognized that tone. But they were kids then, she should have forgotten it by now but no it hunted her. His voice, his every action, his smirk, she recognized them all.

"I don't hate you" she answered "Things just changed"

She didn't look at him but pretended to admire her French manicured nails. But instead her mind went over those times they used to be friends, good friends. She always thought they were going to get married and have beautiful kids. But words were just words, and reality was different.

He made her believe she was the only one, the beautiful princess he couldn't keep his eyes off. But each time she thought about what happened, she wanted to believe Brandon had just grown a bit faster than her. A young prince who just wanted to explore and leaving his Princess behind, and when he came back she wasn't that princess anymore. She was a Queen, who didn't give a fuck anymore, and now she was going to leave him wondering if he's the only one the way he left her wondering. But yet still it was his fault because nothing was ever her fault.

It was barely after the seventh grade those childish dreams began to fade and nothing was the same. She found Kyle and Brandon found his numerous sluts he fucked every weekend.  A million reasons to why she turned out cold and mean, and how much she wanted those times to come back and the only thing she had to worry about was choosing the right hair band to wear to school like Blair Waldorf. Funny, she turned out better.

"What changed? We could always go back" Brandon held both of her arms.

"Go back" Ashley thought but shook her head, letting go of the thought. It wasn't possible.

"I love Kyle"

"He's getting engaged"

"I need to hear it from him first" she slightly pushed his hands off her and turned to leave.

"You don't love Kyle and you know it. You're merely using him to get back at me"