SEVENTEEN

Viridity (n.)

naive innocence

-Collie's Word of the Day #139

•••

  RAIN pelted the window of the bus Collie and Eleven rode, bound for Chicago, Illinois. That's where Collie had seen the girl, their sister, as the younger girl called her. Eleven studied the newspaper article as Collie stared at the seat in front of her, a pair of headphones that Jonathan had gotten her for her birthday over her ears.

  Collie gripped her Walkman in her hand, her knuckles white as she tried to breathe. Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and some of them caused her tremble. What if this girl was hostile, and didn't want to be found? What if someone tried to kidnap them, or worse? What if-

  Eleven tapped Collie's shoulder, drawing her from her trance. Pulling her headphones off, Collie looked over at her.

  "I found her," Eleven said, glancing down to the paper. Collie gave a slight nod, swallowing her fear and putting on a brave face.

  "Good. When we get to the city, I want you to stay with me, okay? Don't go anywhere by yourself, or talk to anyone. Got it?" Eleven bobbed her head up and down, grabbing the older girl's hand and holding it tightly when she saw her shaking.

  In all honesty, Collie was terrified. She'd never been to Chicago, but she'd heard the news stories of murders and robberies and everything in between about it. Despite her worries, she knew she and Eleven had to find their sister. Had to find the person who understood, who had gone through it all as well.

  When the bus arrived in Chicago and the two girls stepped off, they were amazed by the sight before them. Huge buildings reached up to the sky like grasping fingers, and lights twinkled from every possible place. Dozens of people walked the streets, going about their business and paying the girls no mind.

  Nodding in resolute, Collie and Eleven set off down the street. They passed all kinds of people; laughing women in expensive clothes, men with suits and briefcases, and a few police officers, which caused them to keep their heads down.

  Clubs and stores seemed to invite them with neon signs and lights, music floating through the air and reaching their ears. As they turned in circles and gaped at it all, a man passed and bumped into Collie, throwing her a nasty look.

  "Watch it, kid," he said before turning away. The girls stared after him and said at the same time,

  "Mouth breather."

  "Asshole."

  Eleven and Collie walked through Chicago until they reached the back streets, where only a few cars passed through and the buildings were run down. They soon began to pass through a long alleyway where dozens of homeless people dwelled, chattering and murmuring eerily. Collie gripped Eleven's shoulder as she put her arm around her, leading her quickly past the people that stared hungrily at them.

  Eleven could feel the elder girl trembling slightly as a man with crooked teeth grinned at them and cackled,

  "They're dead!" He continued along, his howling voice echoing off the walls. "They're all dead! They're all dead!" The girls quickened their pace and finally escaped the alleyway, hurrying through the empty roads as the night only seemed to get darker around them.