TWENTY-FOUR

Verklempt (adj.)

completely overcome with emotion

-Collie's Word of the Day #310

•••

  SCREECHING filled the air of Hawkins as everyone stood in the Byers' living room, prepared to fight for their lives. Joyce and Hopper, the boys and Max, Jonathan, Nancy, and Steve gripped their weapons tight, staring at the windows and doors as growling and snarling got closer.

  "Where are they?" Max asked, though everyone already knew the answer: everywhere.

  Suddenly, there was a loud thud and everyone collectively turned, facing where the sound came from.

  Nancy watched as bushes rustled outside, her knuckles white around her rifle. "What are they doing?" There was another sharp noise and everyone whipped back around to the front, trembling in fear.

  Abruptly, cries and groans of pain emitted from the creatures outside and the screeching stopped. The lights overhead flickered and there was a tense moment of silence.

  Glass shattered as a dead monster flew through the window and everyone screamed, jumping away from the still creature on the floor. Cautiously, they all approached it, taking in its gruesome claws and hundreds of razor-like teeth.

  "Holy shit," muttered Dustin. Everyone jumped and swiveled again as the door creaked. The lock slowly undid itself and the group raised their weapons, steeling themselves for what was going to come through.

  But none of them were prepared as the door swung open.

  Time seemed to slow as in stepped Jane and Collie, their fingers intertwined. Blood dripped from their noses and Collie's eyes were a pale white, electricity crackling in her free hand.

  Everyone stood and stared at them in shock, frozen in place. Hopper's breath hitched as he lowered his gun, peering at his girls in awe.

  Collie's eyes returned to normal and she locked gazes with Jonathan, who was on the verge of tears as he stepped forward.

  The two sisters dropped hands and hurried toward their boys, a small bit of the weight on their shoulders being relieved.

  Quick as lightning, Collie rushed for Jonathan and threw her arms around him, knocking him backward a few feet. He immediately returned the embrace and held her tighter than he ever had before, as if to make sure she wasn't going anywhere again.

  "Jonathan," she said, trying to keep from crying. She ran her hands through his hair and pressed kisses to the side of his head, grateful to be connected with him once more.

  "Oh my god, Collie," Jonathan breathed. A few tears ran down his cheeks as he gripped his missing girlfriend, her feet coming off the ground. He pulled back and grabbed the sides of her head, kissing her deeply and not caring at all who was watching. "Jesus, I thought you were gone."

  Mike and Jane pulled away from their own hug, cracking smiles as they took in each other.

  "I never gave up on you," Mike said. "I called you every night. Every night for-"