Epilogue: Made to Break

"That's it." Evie stood up from the couch and started grabbing her things. "I can't just sit here while Ben is in danger."

"Evie, sit down." Jay sighed, raising his arms to calm Evie. "Mal told us to stay here. The last thing she needs right now is you intervening in Ben's rescue."

"Ben's my friend too, Jay. He's our friend!" Evie turned to Carlos, expecting support in going out.

"Jay's right, E. Mal's got this." Carlos drew back his lips into a tight smile causing Evie's frown to deepen.

"I could've prevented all of this by making Ben stay behind on Auradon, but I didn't. I encouraged him to come here, not you, not Mal. It was me."

"No, Evie. It was no one's fault, certainly not yours. None of us noticed what Mal was going through and if we did, none of this would be happening. Don't blame yourself." Jay placed his hand on Evie's shoulder and shot her a crooked smile.

Evie bowed her head and brought her hand up to wipe her cheek

Evie bowed her head and brought her hand up to wipe her cheek. Jay pulled her into an embrace and she happily held him tight.

"Thank you, Jay." Evie said as she released him. "I'm gonna take a walk, alone."

"Can I trust you not to go to Ursula's?" Jay asked with a smirk on his face.

"Have I ever been known to break a promise?"

"Yes, actually." Carlos chimed in, his eyes darting between Jay and Evie. Jay chuckled as Evie slung her purse over her shoulder.

"If Mal comes back and I'm not here, tell her I went to look for some things at my mother's." Evie walked up to the exit and looked back just in time to meet Jay's eyes.

"You know she won't believe that." He scoffed.

"Well, I don't need her to."

Evie shut the door behind her and took a deep breath as she overlooked the town she once called home. She began to think about that certain boy she had just encountered and all of the memories she had with him. She had learned to trust herself and her intelligence since she had last seen him. She had changed since she last saw him. She wasn't an insecure girl worried with her looks anymore. To her, he was just a reminder of the shallow, self-absorbed, beauty-obsessed villain she used to be.

Before she knew it, she was on the streets where so much mischief and misdemeanor took place at the hands of the Rotten Four. She smiled as she recalled all the adventures she had on the Isle.

"Never thought I'd see ye roaming these streets again." A voice called out, causing her to freeze in awe. She slowly turned and caught sight of the boy whom she had thought about leaning against a wall. "What's the matter? Looks like ye've seen a ghost."