ii. friends

monday morning

michael rolled out of bed as his little cloud alarm clock rung in his ears, his platinum blonde hair an absolute mess atop his head. the young boy dreaded going to school today, having to face is so called boyfriend. he had a small feeling that ashton didn't just play the drums last night, and someone else didn't only hit the bass. 

he knew that ashton would never hurt or cheat on him but everyone gets a small feeling sometimes. michael shook the thoughts out of his head and quickly showered and got ready before getting dressed in a simple yellow sweater and a random pair of light washed jeans. he threw on his vans, grabbed his backpack, and left the house, completely ignoring his drunk mother and breakfast. 

his mind wandered around as he walked on the paved sidewalk. he stared at the little dandelions and weeds that poked up through the cracks in the ground and smiled. 

if those flowers can grow through cement, i can get through this day at school

"what's got you smiling, beautiful?" michaels thoughts were interrupted by a sweet voice. he instinctively looked up to find himself lost in the breathtaking sky blue eyes of a certain blonde in his home room class. 

"oh, hey luke. i forgot you lived on this street too." michael blushed and looked at his feet, embarrassed that the tall boy had caught him in thought. "hey, don't look down, i want to see your pretty face." luke smiled and easily lifted michaels chin up with two fingers. "you look so cute when you're flustered." he smirked.

"luke, i have a boyfriend." the small boy shifted uncomfortably. "yeah, but he's a total asshole." luke muttered under his breath right before michael playfully slapped his chest. "don't say that, i don't like swearing." he said and turned on his heel to keep walking. luke stayed back for a second, "yeah, but i like your ass in those jeans," he smiled. 

"luke!"

~

 the day's halfway done, four more hours 'till i can finish my show. nothing has happened with ashton today, no ones called me any slurs yet, today has been pretty good so far.

michael thought to himself as he walked through the halls towards the cafeteria for lunch. he stopped at the entrance and scanned the room to find his boyfriend laughing with his band mates. the small boy smiled at the sight of his boyfriend being so happy, he didn't want to bother them, he was unimportant and unpopular. he turned on his heel and walked in the opposite direction to the bottom of the bleachers, his normal lunch seating area. 

once the boy got to the field, michael found luke and his two friends, calum and ria seated on the shady area of the grass. "hey mikey, whats a pretty thing like you doing out her all alone?" luke smiled. "hi luke," mikey couldn't help but blush under the stare of the three friends.

"i'm just, uhhh, walking around." he looked around, anywhere but making eye contact with the trio. "nonsense, come over here and sit with us." luke motioned for him to come closer, and the small boy did. something about luke gave him some confidence, more than anyone else ever could.

published ; january 25

a/n ; hbd calum! he's twenty twoooooo

word count ; 565