A Strange Snake

*Ajar*

Ajar and Eva had regular secret meetings for the next few weeks, always in the Oasis.  Now Pitt was walking with Ajar as he was returning from another meeting.  "Had fun?" he asks.  "Yeah, I'm so glad that tunnel is there, I would go crazy if I couldn't see her," Ajar answers, wishing he could live in the Oasis.  "That's what bothers me," Pitt responds.  "What bothers you?" Ajar asks, puzzled.  "That tunnel, doesn't it seem rather...convenient...to you?  It connects the Suburbs and Oasis. it's hidden on both sides, and it seems to have been made for you and Eva!" Pitt answers back.  "Well, if you put it that way it does seem odd."  They continued discussing the subject when a voice calls out, "Ajar!"  Ajar looks up and sees Saladin sliding over.  "Great, now what does he want?" he grumbles.  Saladin stops in front of the two friends before speaking, "Ajar, there's a snake here who wants to talk to you."  Ajar sighs, looks at Saladin, and realizes he's serious.  "Really? Who?" he asks.  "Didn't catch his name, come on, he's a bit impatient," Saladin responds before darting off.  Pitt and Ajar look at each other before following the snake.  

Saladin leads them to an overhang where a cobra, bigger than Saladin, sat, gazing out at the desert.  His scales were red with black, snake patterns running down his back.  "Found him," Saladin gasps.  The big snake turns and looks at Ajar.  A streak of black scales crossed his left eye.  In a deep, menacing voice, he spoke, "Leave us."  Saladin looks between him and Ajar for a second, then whipped around and shot off.  "Wow, never seen him that scared before.  Actually, I've never seen anyone scare him," Ajar says, watching Saladin flee.  Turning back to the strange snake, he asks, "What's your name anyway?"  The snake looked at him coldly.  "Strikeout," he says after a moment, "And I'm here to tell you to stop seeing her."  Ajar blinks in surprise.  How did he know?! he thought.  "Stop seeing who?" he tries to ask calmly, though there was a twinge of nervousness in his voice.  "DOn't play dumb, you know exactly who I'm talking about.  You two need to stop your secret meetings, Dusties and Green snakes should not be together," the big snake hisses.  "Listen up pal, I don't know who you think you are but you need to stay out of other people's business," Ajar says defiantly.  A breeze picks up as Strikeout growls and slithers back into the canyon.  "Very well, don't say I didn't warn you," he hisses in Ajar's ear as he passes.

"What was all that about?" Pitt exclaims.  "I don't know but I don't like it," Ajar responds.  The two friends sat there for a minute, wondering what the snake wanted, oblivious to the rising breeze.  Pitt notices the wind picking up and turns around.  "Uh, Ajar, may be we should get to shelter," he says nervously.  Ajar whips around and is alarmed to see a sand storm racing across the sand.  "Quick, lets go!" Ajar yells over the wind.  The two race for the canyon but the building wind gets caught in Ajar's frill.  Suddenly, with a roar, the wind yanks him off the ledge out into the desert.  "AJAR!" Pitt yells.  Ajar barely hears him as he tumbles in the storm.

[Some time later]

Ajar opens his eyes and sits up with a groan.  Looking around, he doesn't spot the Suburbs or Oasis anywhere.  He hears a moan and turns around and spots a Green snake in the sand nearby.  Ajar slides over and looks at him.  "Hey, you alright?" he asks as the snake raises his head.  "Yeah, I am," he answers.  He looks up at Ajar and his eyes widen.  "AAH, DUSTIE!" he yells, leaping back.  "Stay back, I'm not afraid to fight you," he says in a trembling voice.  "Hey, calm down, I don't want to hurt you," Ajar says, hoping to calm the snake.  "I'm Ajar, what's your name?"  The snake looks at him for a moment before speaking nervously, "I'm, um, Michael."