Chapter II | Part 1

That night of 1801 the round moon hung low over the American sky, making it seem even bigger than it usually did from the Xanthe Academy. Synthia tapped her feet uneasily as Jaz, in her voluptuous and shiny green dress, waved her hand desperately for a carriage to stop.

"Give it up," Synthia said, her eyes rolling at Jazmine, "no one is going to have the decency of picking us up this far out from the city,"

"Not with that attitude, no," the blonde's green eyes glared at her and turned back to waving frantically at the street.

Synthia could've aided her friend, she admitted. But her mind was not up for doing anything but what she desperately wanted to stop doing, and she referred to thinking about her encounter with the black haired boy, his eyes glistening in the back of her mind just like they had that morning on the staircase. There was something about that guy, something that captivated her. He just had an... aura.

Synthia silently reprimanded herself for how silly that sounded.

Horses with carriages strapped to their backs continued to trot down the mildly paved road, but none of the service carriages seemed to notice Jazmine, which was a near-impossible affirmation thanks to the almost radioactive green attire she had on. 

So, as the cold air of the night swept up into their outfits and made them feel like freezing to death was on the schedule, something almost too coincidental to be possible happened.

A brown service carriage slowed down to a stop in front of the girls, the curtains down and covering the window. Jazmine was about to get inside when the back curtain shifted open and Synthia saw a familiar head pop out.

"Good evening, ladies. Are you in need of a ride?" Asked the black haired boy.

Before Synthia could visibly start blushing Jaz answered, "The August Ball, hosted at the Fenris manor."

"Well, in that case," he said, grinning at Synthia, "it'll be a pleasure to take you there,"

The trip down to the Manor was about twenty minutes long since the academy was located just on the outskirts of the small community. 

The town, which Synthia saw as small and desolated compared to the progressing London she grew up in, was built at the valley between the Corbeau mountains that surrounded every side of the community except for north, where the Flint River snaked its path away from the hills and towards Northern Maine. 

A wide highway was the only way from the academy to the city, which was filled with native people, most born to the small society and convinced that ever leaving was not an available future.

The wheels bumped along the rocky road as the horses pulled in a smooth trot. Jazmine gazed impatiently out the curtain, tapping her long nails on the doorknob impatiently.

Meanwhile, Synthia couldn't help herself as her gaze landed on the gentleman's delicate features and his mixed colored skin. His mismatched eyes were set deep under bushy eyebrows, narrowed in a pensive gaze. Her eyes drifted down to his strong nose, then to his tender lips, which were set in a serious line. She studied the way his carved jaw connected to his ears, which were cutely covered by strands of his strands of black hair. 

She couldn't stop thinking about the unusual beauty that grazed his face, the way that he could catch her eye without being conventionally handsome like most of her suitors were back home. 

Already so attractive and he can't be older than 18, she thought to herself.

His black hair was messy and shiny under the impact of the moon's light, which was almost reaching the peak of its journey across the night sky. The brown-haired girl couldn't help but notice how the moon seemed to have an opponent to its beauty in his blue left eye.

While these thoughts ran through Synthia's head, the black-haired boy was fighting his urge to stare at her, forcing himself to do this by holding his sight on the wall ahead of him. He had been picturing the young lady, replaying their encounter on the staircase, the way their hands grazed and how they looked into each other's eyes for a little too long. 

The chauffeur had been forced to take an unusual path and go past the academy because of construction work obstructing its way through town, leaving only the main road to reach the party downtown. That's when he saw her from inside the carriage, standing with her arms crossed as the other girl waved hers desperately for one of the occupied drivers to stop and pick them up.

"Sir, do me a favor and pick up those ladies over there," he had said to the driver.

And when Caleb finally lost the battle to restrain himself he looked at the girl who now sat beside him, and was utterly surprised when his gaze and hers crossed. He realized with bliss that she must've been looking at him as well. Her hazel eyes quickly averted his, hints of a pink blush appearing on her.

His eyes wandered helplessly over her face. She had big and round hazel eyes, accompanied by finely shaped eyebrows and a petite, perky nose. Her soft, feminine jaw framed a luscious, kissable smile. Her wavy ash brown hair grazed her blushed, high cheekbones, her white strand contrasting against her reddened cheeks. She had the most appealing beauty he had ever seen.

"Miss..." Caleb started the phrase and realized that he didn't know her name. "What's your name again?"

Synthia's  eyebrows rose, followed by a sheepish grin with which she answered, "Synthia Claire at your service, sir."

The words lingered in the air between them as Caleb flavored the sound of her sweet, British voice.

"Well, Miss Claire," he attempted a Shakespearean English accent, "I shall be a letter away for whenever you may require my presence."

She struggled to maintain a polite grin and failed miserably as she choked down a chuckle and recomposed herself with a sturdy smile plastered on her crimson lips.

"That was..." Caleb gazed at her lips as she said this, "utter failure, sir. But still, great effort, though. The accent really got a laugh out of me."

They both lingered in each other's eyes and quickly averted their sight with their cheekbones helplessly blushed. Synthia moved the white strand of her hair behind her ear and felt her chest warm up inside.

And even though she couldn't have known, Caleb's chest warmed up just the same.

"And I'm Jazmine Rose, by the way. Happy to be third-wheeling." She held her hand out, breaking the silence.

"Of course," said Caleb, "it's a pleasure."

"Well you two lovebirds should ready up, 'cause we're almost there."

Light seeped through fancy windows on the gables. The walls were lined with silver strikes provided by the full moon watching from the skies.

The three friends left the carriage and thanked the chauffeur as another wave of well-dressed people left their rides and headed to the heat of the party inside. Jazmine quickly thanked Caleb for picking them up at the Academy and after applying one last layer of bright red to her lips she defiantly said:

"Let's head inside."