Chapter Three

*

G R A Y S O N   L A I N E

Blake squeezes into the small dark corner in the side of Jordyn's house. An entire side of him sticks out, I laugh quietly to myself and stick my hands into my hoodie.

"Dude, you know anyone could see you right now," I tell him.

He loudly shushes me, "You're gonna blow my cover!"

"I can see you!" I exclaim.

He rolls his eyes, and scoffs. "You're no fun."

"This is the stupidest thing you've ever convinced me to do," I sigh. I'm too gullible for my own good.

He shakes his head, "Nah. Remember when we dressed up like girls and snuck into the girls locker room," my face immediately turns red.

"Please don't remind me."

"Ooh! Or that time we stole the Vikings mascot," he smiles at the memory.

"How could I forget, I still have the scar!" I lift my dark brown bangs to show him the scar.

  He shakes his head, "Details, details. What's important is that we experienced it together man." He places his hand on my shoulder.

I shake it off, and roll my eyes. "What'd you think they're doing?" he asks me.

I shrug my shoulders, "I dunno."

Suddenly all the lights go out, one by one. Each room now pitch black.

"What happened?" I ask quietly.

He smiles deviously. "I dunno," he repeats my earlier words. "but they just made our job a whole lot easier."

We go to the back of the humongous house, Blake slides a window open. He looks through then hops into it. I exhale, no turning back. I latch onto the window and pull myself through.

When I stand to my full height we're in a dining room, with a huge glass table. Off to the side is a wardrobe, Blake opens it.

"It's empty, let's hide in here."

I don't disagree and just follow his lead, I really hope they don't think we're weird. Once we're both in Blake shuts the two wardrobe doors and we're engulfed in complete darkness.

*

M A R I N E   E V A N S

"I'm back," Jordyns sings. Closing the door with her foot, her arms overfilled with various materials. She sets the things down on her bed and, skims through the items needed one last time.

She exhales, "Okay, write your names on these." She hands us each a blank piece of paper and a sharpie.

"Our full name right?" Raina asks, taking the sharpie cap off with her teeth.

"Yeah," Jordyn replies.

I carefully write my name on the piece of paper, the sharpie squeaking.