four

I burst into the police station, I see the familiar kind receptionist and she smiles at me.

"Where's Hopper?" I ask her. I decided to tell Hopper, the sheriff of Hawkins, about Dart. I don't really expect him to do much about it, he's really the only person I can tell.

Him and I have gotten closer after my dad's death. My form of coping was getting in trouble, and Hopper was always there getting me out of it. He's more of a dad to me than my biological father ever was.

"He's at the pumpkin pat-"

"Thank you!" I exclaim as I head back out the door, I get in my car and drive off. There are only two pumpkin patches in Hawkins, it won't be hard to find him. Luckily, the first one I pulled up to was the one he was at. I saw his truck as I drive up the hill and pulled up next to his.

He looks over at my car, and I can see him hang his head. I get out and smile sheepishly at him.

"Hellooo..." I trail off, he hates when I show up on site.

"Listen, kid, I'm working and I can't ha-"

I cut him off, "Actually, I'm looking for some pumpkins for Dustin and..." I stop talking when I see all of the pumpkins molded with flies swarming around them. I also remember Halloween was two nights ago.

I give him a confused look, "Me too." He sighs walking ahead, with me right behind him.

I listen to him talking to the owner. The old man believes his competitor somehow poisoned all of his pumpkins over night.

"That's impossible. How could he poison every single pumpkin in one night?" I ask, Hopper gives me a disapproving look.

"He has helpers!" The aged man exclaims. I look around, my eyes stop when I see movement in a cornfield close by. I slowly walk towards it, I assume Hopper notices it to because he's right behind me.

"Get behind me, kid." He protectively puts his arm out in front of me as we near the disturbance. He slowly glides his hand across a batch of corn, when a crow bursts out letting out a squawk. I jump and the burst of movement. I look over at Hopper and his shoulders relax and he lets out a breath.

What did he expect to see? He notices my staring and shakes his head at me, playing off the worry.

"What did you need to tell me?" He sighs, taking his hat off and rubbing his face.

I can't tell him about Dart. He's stressed out enough and this will set him over the edge.

"I can't remember..." I laugh lightly. Hopper gives me a worried look, but believes what I told him.

"Okay. Go back home with Dustin."

I nod my head and walk back to my car.

"and, kid?" I turn back around and his eyes are kind.

"Please, stay safe."

I smile and gives him a thumbs up before heading back to my car. Before I pull out, I check my center console for my smokes, when I see it's empty.

"Fuck." I mumble to myself before reaching for my glove compartment, only to reveal, I'm out of cigarettes.

"Fuck!" I say louder, hitting my hands on the steering wheel and driving away from the pumpkin patch. This made everything five times shittier.

I begin to drive home, not really paying attention. The only thing on my mind are cigarettes and when I can get my hands on them. Sadly, in Hawkins every gas station cards you for cigarettes. Who's cards for cigarettes? It's ridiculous.

I keep driving singing along to music, suddenly the ride home seems a lot longer than before. I reach down towards the bottom of the passenger side looking for my Blondie CD when I look up I brake quickly, as Steve runs in front of my car.

"What the hell, Steve!" I yell. I can't even think about what would happen if I had hit him. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Steve gives me a sheepish grin, "I was working on my car, and I saw yours coming, and I haven't seen you in forever!"

I laugh at the teenage boy in front of me, "Steve, you saw me yesterday!"

He rolls his eyes, "Yeah, but Billy ruined it."

I don't understand the feud between those two. Maybe, it's simply testosterone.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, running a hand through my curly brown hair. It's funny how awkward and uncomfortable I was around him when we first started hanging out. In a few short weeks we're closer than ever.

He flashes me a big smile, "Of course!" He exclaims, running to the passenger side and buckling up. I laugh and shake my head.