Chapter One

I hid in the walk in cupboard in my bedroom hoping he would calm down. My boyfriend was in another of his moods. The ones that ended with my fixing yet another hole in the wall. He came into the bedroom and I froze.

"Where are you? You little bitch." The door of the robe crashed against the floor as he ripped it from it's hinges. "I asked you to make something for my tea."

He grabbed me by my hair and pulled my out on my knees. My eye sight went fuzzy as my head collided with the frame of the cupboard.

"I'm sorry, I was at work."

He swung around and pushed me up against the wall, pinning me down by my neck.

"I told you to quit that fucking job Maree."

Not wanting to provoke him further l did as he asked. As I walked past the mirror in the hallway I caught a glimpse of the bruise forming on my forehead. This was it, once he passed out I was going.

I watched as Kent ate every last morsel of his tea I had prepared. He got up and stumbled to the lounge where he turned the TV up loud and drank himself into a stupor. I quietly washed up and planned my escape.

I got my chance when I heard loud snoring coming from the lounge room. Hardly breathing I crept to the bedroom and loaded a backpack with some clothes and other important possessions. I grabbed the bike that he let me ride to work and peddled into town. My heart stopped every time a car approached, thinking that it was him.

As I turned the corner and the bike club house came into view I relaxed a little. The clubhouse belonged to my best friend Sarah's fiancee Michael. He was the president of the fallen pirates motor cycle club. I was friends with a lot of the guys but I had known for a while that Kip, the sergeant in arms, had a fascination with me. Kip was tall and bald with large muscles, he looked a little like Vin Diesel, if you squinted your eyes and turned your head. He was tough on the outside but I knew he had a heart of gold.

I parked my bike and was about to walk around to the unit where Kip lived when a car turned into the street. I knew instantly that it was Kent. He slowly drove past and I dived behind Kip's bike. I looked up as I saw the lounge room light come on as the car disappeared around the corner. I heard Kent's car stop and I knew he had seen my bike. Kip opened the door and I ran inside. He looked at me in surprise.

"Please shut the door!"

He slammed the door shut just as I saw Kent heading towards the door.

"What the hell happened to you? Did he do that?"

All of a sudden Kent was pounding the door. Kip worked out what was going on and threw me his phone.

"Take this and call Sarah, go into the bedroom and don't come out until she gets here, do not come out, no matter what you hear!"

I nodded and locked myself in his bedroom. Shaking, I dialled Sarah's number. She sounded bright and cheerful when she answered the phone.

"Sarah, it's Maree."

"Maree? Why are you on Kip's phone? Is he ok?"

I paused as I heard crashing and banging coming from outside the door and I swallowed hard. Ever since I had been dating Kent I had neglected our friendship, he hated her and me spending time with her.

"Kip needs help. Can you and Michael get here quickly? I'll explain later."

I dialled a couple of the other members and curled up in the corner. As I heard the swearing and shouting ebb and flow it felt like hours for the roar of Harley's to pull up out the front. I jumped a mile when I heard someone bang on the door.