The Day Out (Part 2)

You were like halfway there when someone FINALLY spoke up.

And, surprisingly, it was Zane. "Hey... uh... thanks for driving us." He hummed softly "I'll have to go home after this... I'm... working on something." He hummed

"Oh- really? Please tell me you're like some super cool technician and are working on human clones or a robot or something." You smiled, the nerd in you coming out

"...uh... no." He leaned back and crossed his arms, going silent.
"...really...?" Zack glared at him and he sighed "sorry." Zane whispered "maybe I can't talk to just you... it's just telling you about stuff you already know, and it's boring." He murmured to him. Zack seemed a little distraught at this... he frowned and looked away, thinking

"..." you stayed silent and gulped... you didn't know what you wanted to do... you took a deep breath and your thoughts started to drift "..." you felt...
Odd. Like you were alone with your feelings...

"..." Cheese glanced at you before looking to Mac, who was staring out of the window. He leaned over and whispered into his ear in their little language.
Hearing whatever he said made Mac perk up and look at you intently, his eye lights scanning over your features "..." he seemed saddened "..." he opened his mouth to say something but then closed it and clenched his teeth, deciding he shouldn't. He took a glance at your chest and seemed even more upset "..."

You started to sweat nervously, your eyes focused on the road. You couldn't help but think... think of thoughts that weren't exactly great...
...what if they left? Your new best friends... you were closer to them then you were to anyone else... you had allowed them to leave if they so wished.
"..." you let out a soft whine at your thoughts and glanced at them for a moment...
They seemed... worried...? You looked back to the road, slightly confused "..." you took a deep breath as you took a left.

A few minutes of awkward silence later, you had arrived. You took a deep sigh as you started getting ready to get out of the car.

Zane was already out and by the door waiting for you once you finally got out of your tangled seatbelt.
Okay, sometimes you mess up in life, that's okay.
What wasn't Okay was how Cheese and Mac were looking at you... so intently...
For Mac, it was more constant nervous glances over in your direction, and sometimes a whisper to Cheese...
And then Cheese would whisper something back and stare at you for a few moments when he thought you weren't looking, then look away.
What had gotten them so tense?
What did you do?

Zane opened the door for you and walked in behind you "who's paying...?" He asked, "I-I mean- I'll pay." He insisted, already pulling out his wallet

"N-no- I'll pay." You stopped him. If he couldn't afford his own car, then he really shouldn't be buying food for more than one person, especially since you could pay.

He looked at you but then sighed "alright, alright-" he gave up... he couldn't argue with free food, especially when you insisted so.

After ordering and sitting down, all three bitties jumped down onto the table. Mac and Cheese were trying to get Zack to talk to them, or commune with them at all...
But Zack just didn't want to. He scooted back over to Zane, seeming completely uninterested in Cheeses jokes and Macs Positive Mental Attitude.

"Hey, Zane...are you always this quiet? You haven't answered to anything we've said for the past two minutes. Are you even listening...?" He asked, gently tapping his shoulder

"I'm listening." He responded finally "just have nothing to respond with. And with your brother spitting out stories and stuff, I find it kinda hard to keep up with the subject." He said simply, crossing his arms defensively as he glanced away