Gifted Curse

Strings. They were everywhere. Xu Minghao hated them. The world revolves around love and lust. The whole soulmate idea plagued everyone's minds.

It was a big deal to be with the person you're meant to. But no one really knew their soulmates. Only when your soulmate dies is when you can see the strings. Minghao was only 17 when he started to see them.

There were a few quirks to the strings. Children didn't have strings, in fact no one did until they were the age of 18. Someone's string could connect to someone, but sometimes they weren't mutual soulmates. Someone that can see the strings own string was tied in a knot on their wrist. And someone that once lost their soulmate can regain one, at the cost of losing the special vision. It was rare to find another person who could see the fate.

Minghao hated the whole soulmate thing as soon as he found out his parents aren't soulmates. He wasn't entirely sure how to feel about it. His parents were happy with their love, but then again there was a chance that their soulmates could be doing so much better with the right person.

It's a gifted curse. Knowing other's love affairs was always risky, especially if someone that saw the strings tried to interfere out of good intentions.

Minghao was now 20, living oblivious to the strings was a lot easier. Of course there were times where he couldn't avoid it, like when his roommates had partners and they didn't connect at all. Who was Minghao to get in peoples own love? He was always supportive of them regardless of the strings, and comforted them like no tomorrow when the relationships ended.

Minghao made it a game to keep track of strings when he was bored, even if he absolutely hated the lines. He really only played the game at his job.

He thought of the heart-to-heart connection was a bit tacky for fate, but enjoyed seeing true pairings regardless.

So far, there was only one couple who came in and had their string attached. A newcomers string was connected to a regular, something new in Minghaos day. But then something happened that he never expected.

Soemone came in with their string tied around their wrist.

Minghao gulped. He was a little intimidated by how easy it was for him to meet someone like him. The stranger had noticed Minghao's string, as he was staring right at it.

"You... you can see them too right?" The stranger asked as he approached Minghao and grabbed his wrist from across the counter, a shock felt between the two. "You mean the strings?" Minghao asked. "Yeah..." the stranger trailed on as he glanced between Minghao's wrist and various strings in the shop.

The stranger finally let go. "Sorry, it's just that I've never met another person who could see. I thought it was all a hoax to be honest." Minghao only nodded. "I'm Yoon Jeonghan."

"Xu Minghao. I'm on my break soon, maybe we can sit and talk?" Jeonghan nodded. "Yes please."

Soon enough Minghao had his break. The two sat in a booth in a corner by the front. It was a bit awkward, seeing that the two didn't know where to start.

"So... when did you start seeing them?" Minghao started. "Well, it's a long story to be honest. I was in my freshman year of college, and there was this boy at the library that would talk to me daily. He was so sweet and kind, and really cheerful. His name was Kwon Soonyoung, he had the cutest smile and he always made everyone smile. Someone took him to a frat party, and there was an accident. I wasn't there, but people said he slipped and hit his head really hard, brain hemorrhage. When I found out the next day, it's when I noticed the strings. That was two years ago. Life still isn't the same. I always think about how different things would be if he hadn't died." Jeonghan looked regretfully at the coffee in front of him.

Minghao held Jeonghan's hand reassuringly across the table. He wasn't sure what to do, everything was new to him. "It'll be okay some day Jeonghan. The strings are a horrible blessing." Minghao was truly trying.

"Enough about me, what about you?" Jeonghan said and sniffled. Minghao blinked as he remembered where it all began. "I was seventeen, not much going on in my life. I was confused as to why I had a string tied into a knot on my wrist and why I couldn't take it off. But then it hit me when I realized my parents had the strings, but they weren't connected to each other. I never knew my soulmate, whoever they are may their soul rest easy." Minghao finished with a half smile. Even if he didn't know his soulmate, it still hurt.

"Oh you poor thing, you must have been so confused. Have you told anyone?" Jeonghan asked. "No, only you." Minghao had no clue who he'd even tell. It's one thing to not believe in the strings, but another to say you can see them and fate. "Oh really? I've actually told my roomates, but they see it as me not wanting them to set me up with someone." Jeonghan sighed. His roommates were true brats.

Jeonghan glanced at the clock on the wall. "Shit. I'm gonna be late for a lecture if I don't leave now. See you later?" "Sure. Have fun." Jeonghan and Minghao exchanges numbers and went their separate ways.

Hi it's me. This is short, only like 930 words. Oops. I hope you enjoyed. Also sorry about killing off Soonyoung. But do you think he was mutually Jeonghan's soulmate or was it all pure coincidence?
Also if you can't tell by now, this story is going to have all notps/crack ships besides a popular one. I love torturing us all.
Thank you for the love and support, I love y'all with all my heart. Muah. Take care babes.
Forever yours,
Wonhyuking.