The Mad Folk

"Do you not know the history of this land?"

"I know some, but history was never my strength,"

"Well then, let me enlighten you a little. The first people of this land were the dwarves, thus they are known as the Old Folk. Second to inhabit this land was the elves, and they brought great wisdom with them, thus they are known as the Wise Folk. Next came the fairies, and they are called the Child Folk because of their tendency to be childish and playful.

After the fairies, the centaurs came and they are called the Wild Folk for they retained the spirit of wild horses. The fifth race to arrive was the fauns, they are known as the Merry Folk as they are constantly cheerful and outgoing, giving them a similar nature to the fairies. The harpies were the sixth race to come, they are known as the Feathered Folk for the feathers that cover most of their bodies and wings.

Next, sirens settled into the sea shores and rivers beds of the land, and they are called the Song Folk for they have alluring voices. Eighth came the gnomes, the Little Folk, they are the smallest amongst us. And then came the ninth race, humans, and the ways of this land changed-"

"What are humans known as?"

"...They are known as the Mad Folk. When humans came they did not make their homes in nature, they made their homes out of nature, by chopping down forests and extracting rocks and clay from the earth in order to make their homes. The craved 'paths' into the ground, and claimed this entire land as their own, paying no heed to those who were already there. And when the first inhabitants tried to stand against the human's greed, the humans waged war on them and forcefully drove them out of their homes.

Those who willingly gave up their homes were forced to abide by human law and custom. So eventually all of us other folk were forced to be confined to the places where no humans dare to go.

As you should be able to deduce, there are very bitter feelings towards humans amongst us, and therefore that is why you will be receiving no help from any of us against the orcs. It will make a very small difference to our being, who wins this war. All I can say is that if the orcs are victorious, humans will finally understand what they put all of us other Folks through, and if the humans are victorious, then the orcs are just going to become another race shoved into the corner without a second thought."