Chapter 4

Jessie woke up earlier than he expected the morning of the Free Skate. Glancing at his phone, he saw that the time was 4:37 and his stomach was tying itself in knots. The pressure was mounting and he could feel that his muscles were tense. Not the way he wanted to start the most important day of his life. He had done well in the Team Event and overall, they had gotten the silver medal behind the Russians, but without Fallon to dominate, the Russian ladies had sent their country into the top spot. Staring at the ceiling wasn't getting him anywhere he decided after fifteen minutes. All he was accomplishing was tying his stomach in tighter knots thinking about the day ahead. Reaching over, he found his laptop in the dark and balanced it on is chest. He could get ahead in his science reading at least.

At 5:30, Evan rolled over to stare at him in the darkness. "Jessie," he began,"Why the hell are you awake at five, the morning of your free skate?"

He shrugged,"Catching up on homework,"

"At 5:30?" Evan pressed.

"Since 4:30 actually," Jessie clarified.

Sighing, the ice dancer stood and grabbed Jessie's laptop,"Nope! You are going to go back to sleep for two more hours." Evan made sure the document was saved before shutting the laptop,"I will get you up at 7:30, which will gives you more than two hours to get ready and have breakfast with your family. You are skating last today at probably 1:30. Go back to bed. Stress later,"

"Evan," Jessie began to complain before a pillow connected with his face and a muffled 'go to bed' came from the other skater.

Jessie flopped back on his bed dramatically, then flipped so his face was pressed into the pillow. Without meaning to, his eyes drifted closed and he was asleep.

Evan looked over his shoulder once more once he heard his friend stop shifting around,"Studying at five freaking thirty in the morning. That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard of." he mumbled.

    True to his word, Evan smacked Jessie with a pillow at 7:30 on the dot. He sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes as Evan pulled a shirt on.

    "Your phone has been exploding," Evan added, tossing it from where it sat on the desk in the corner of the room to land on the bed beside Jessie.

[Dad] As your amazing parents, we are offering to take you out to eat this morning at the world renowned hotel lounge.

[Old Man Pops] You should come. At 8:30

[Old Man Pops] Jessie

~

[Jackie!!] Meet in the lobby at 10:00. You skate last so we don't have to be at the arena for while. Make sure you're stretched and ready. You're gonna kick butt today

~

[Old Man Pops] Jessie

~

[Fal] My god Jess, don't you check your phone? Mark, your father, is texting me at 7:00 in the morning.

[Fal] And hell yeah I love your dads, but I like sleep even more.

[Fal] I have to be all rested for when I cheer louder THAN THE ENTIRE STADIUM later today

~

[Old Man Pops] I guess we'll have to eat this delicious food without you....

[Dad] Mark take a chill pill! He's a teenager! He's going to be asleep for another hour probably.