Chapter 5

Fallon followed her roommate Natalie out of the hotel room on the way to the Short Program practice session. As an alternate, she came to every practice session and every competition, but never actually stepped on the ice. She had her skates in her bag, however, in case there were a few minutes she could snag. She hadn't been able to run any of her programs while she had been at the Olympics, but had enjoyed hanging out and talking to the fans that gathered to watch. Natalie smiled at her as they entered the elevator with a group of skiers Fallon recognized. They didn't say much as they rode down to the next floor. As the doors slid open, Fallon saw Jessie laughing with a group of athletes, including Zoe Wilson.

"Zoe at 4 o'clock," Nat whispered under her breath,"With your man,"

Fallon laughed,"Jessie is not my man,"

"But he should be," Fallon's friend countered.

Fallon didn't reply, and instead walked over to the group.

"My bestie!" Jessie held his arms out to her and she smiled, accepting his hug and the kiss on her temple,"You heading to practice?"

"Yep!" Nat replied, gripping her bag straps.

"I'm gonna shout encouraging things," Fallon said, then faced Zoe,"Are you heading out too?"

The 19 year old nodded,"Was just leaving when I ran into Jess,"

Natalie watched Fallon stiffen slightly, and knew Jessie's jaw had tightened. Only Fallon called him Jess, and similarly, Jessie was the only one to call her Fal.

"Wanna walk together?" Zoe didn't notice the now slightly icy feeling surrounding her.

"Sure!" Fallon smiled tightly, pulling away toward the door.

Jessie squeezed her hand,"I'm going to work on math. See you later?" he asked Fallon.

She nodded, then left, Nat giving him a sympathetic look as she followed.

Once they made it to the rink, Zoe was called away by her coach, and soon after Nat was on the ice, leaving Fallon alone.

As per usual, Fallon stretched, then went to hang out with fans. They welcomed her with shouts and hugs and she hung out with them for a while, then moved to the next section. As the women skated their programs, she would occasionally commentate for the people she sat with, and cheer with them after the skaters ran through their programs. Natalie was about half way through the group of skaters for the practice block. Fallon had ventured to the rink in the hopes that she could maybe sneak in some ice time, and at the very least hang out with people she enjoyed. Natalie was talking with her coach when Fallon joined them.

"Hey Fallon," Nat smiled at her warmly,"How're your adoring fans?"

The younger woman shrugged,"Oh you know. Just geeking about about that lovely triple triple combo we saw earlier from you,"

Nat shrugged,"Not as cool as your triple axel though,"

Fallon smiled,"My triple axel is janky as hell and I pull it off a grand total of never in competition,"

Natalie's coach grimaced across the rink,"What is that about?" He asked of no one in particular.

The skaters followed his gaze to where Zoe was having a melt down.

"Jeez," Fallon turned back around,"Don't want to be her coach right now not gonna lie,"

"Yeah," Nat agreed, watching over her shoulder,"What is she? 19? Her first Olympics?"

"I think so," her coach answered, rubbing his cold hands,"her senior debut was the year after yours," he nodded at Nat.

"I'm still surprised that she's here," Nat muttered.