Reaction

A Perfect Dystopia

Chapter 6

_______________

Reaction: an action performed or a feeling experienced in response to a situation or event.

"I seriously still just can't believe you fainted," exclaimed Surina, laughing histerically even after what felt like hours.  After I had gotten a hold of my self and regained my senses, Surina and I began to walk back into the City.

"Yeah, it was pretty funny," I replied, making sure my annoyance showed clearly on my face.

Surina let out one last giggle then calmed down and I asked, "I didn't think about this while we were there, but how do we know that the Officials weren't listening in at that meadow?"

"You think I didn't think about that?  I obviously don't want them to listen to our confidential conversations.  You and I both know that there's an invisible electric field around the City; and where that field ends, so does the Officials' zone of eavesdropping.  I just made sure we were past the zone so we could talk free of eavesdroppers,"

"That makes sense," I replied, wondering how I hadn't thought of that, " but what about the tracking tech they have in our access chips?"

She held her finger to her lips and said, "That's my little secret," to which I just gave her a blank, unamused stare, "seriously Narri, trade secret, can't tell you."

I sighed in annoyance, but didn't press any further. As long as it worked, however Surina turned off the tracking didn't really matter to me.

"So what exactly did you mean by you wanted to show me something?" I asked, remembering what she had said before I fainted.

"Oh right, well we're not really supposed to know about it, but I have my people," she replied, making me raise my eyebrows in disbelief.

"We're not supposed to know about what?"

"Well I said I would show you, didn't I?" she said exasperatedly.

"No, actually, you just said that you had something you wanted to show me, you never said you would actually show me," I replied, looking at her incredulously.

Surina gave me a look that said she didn't find my remark funny and said, "If I want to show you, I'm going to. That's just a given,"

"Well it could be one of those instances where you want to show me but due to extenuating circumstances, you can't," I said nonchalantly.

"Seriously, Narri, you are such a pain sometimes,"

"What can I say?" I shrugged.

"You can stop saying anything, because we're back in the City," she said, pulling my arm and dragging me across the street.

Surina proceeded to lead me deep into the City, taking me as far as the less inhabited corners of Downtown. There weren't a lot of people outside, walking or otherwise. There were usually a lot of people in Downtown, but the area that Surina was leading me to was a less friendly region.

The people who we did happen to pass by would occasionally look up at the pair of us in confusion or disdain. I wasn't all too worried about the passersby, I knew how to handle myself. That is, if you disregard the past couple of days with how I had reacted to certain events.  

When my dad was still around, he and my mom had wanted me to be strong and independent, which was part of the reason I joined the Orbit team at school. This was also the reason that I had participated in numerous self defense classes with Surina when we were pre-teens.