Chapter 1 - Another Day

"Again, Again" the children cheer, as they clap their tiny little hands. They fall next to me on the floor, tired from all the dancing and singing we just did. I give them a bright smile, in hopes to ease the fact that I must go back to work.

"I'm sorry little ones, but I'm afraid that I must be going back to work." I say, in my most kindest voice. I know the children in the orphanage don't get a lot of attention or many visitors. So when I stop by they (along with me) are always reluctant to let me leave. It just breaks my heart to pieces to have to leave them, but if I don't finish my list of dresses my step-mother will surely punish me.

"No" they all whine in unison, as they make their way closer to me and grab ahold of my arms and yank at my dress, begging me not to leave. This is always the hardest part about leaving them, I see all these children as my little brothers and sisters and it pains me to see them upset.

"I sorry, but I will be back soon, and we will sing even more songs, perhaps will even go outside and sing to all the people?" I suggest, trying to make them less sad with the thought of singing outside

"I promise," I say and the children start to ease their grip off me "Okay Winter," they all reculantly agree, and I smile then stand up from the ground that I was sitting on. I bend down to pick up guitar and turn to all the children.

"Can you walk me to the door?" I ask smiling, knowing they all love sending me off, and I love kissing and hugging each of them goodbye before I leave.

They all nod their little heads and scramble to get ahold of my hand, some grab onto my dress as we all walk to the exit of the orphanage.

Once I make it to the door, I turn around and face them. Then I bend down and give each of them a hug and a kiss on the cheek, having one on one time with all nine of the children. After all the hugs and kisses I promise to come back as soon as possible. Not telling them that I don't know how long that might be.

Walking out of the small cottage I turn around and walk backwards so I can look at them as I wave goodbye, "Bye Winter," they call back and wave their hands frantically, "Bye, I love you." I call back as they all smile and some giggle, "I love you, Winter!" they all shout back and I smile.

Then I see the three ladies who are the caregivers of the orphanage take them back inside, and I can see the appreciative smiles they give me as I walk away. I give them a smile back as I turn around and head into the marketplace.

I walk over to the bakery that is just a few doors down from Elora's Boutique; the shop my step-mother owns and where I work. But before I can go back to the boutique I have to stop at the bakery to pick up bread and eggs. Which is why I was sent out in the first place, but my father took my stepmother, Elora and her two daughters, Hazel and Ivy to a play, leaving me home to work.

But where they see it as a punishment to not bring me along with them, I would prefer to stay home.

What they don't know is I enjoy not going. I prefer to pick up my guitar and play to the children in the orphanage.

As I open up the door to the bakery I hear the bell chime as I step thru the door. Rolling up my sleeves as I do so, because it's always so hot in here. A given since it's a bakery with a very larger kiln.

"Winter!" I turn around and see my best friend, Daphne, run out from behind the counter and over to me. I smile at seeing my most cherished friend as she pulls me into her familiar embrace.

"Hi, Daphne," I say, as I wrap my arms around her, "How are you?" I haven't seen my best friend in over two weeks because I have been very busy at the shop because the Princes's birthday is coming up and all the noble lords and ladies from each family is attending and given that Elora has one of the best boutiques in the village, I have been busy trying to fill all the orders in time.