Chapter 12 - Forever

Winter

"Mommy"

"Yes flower"

"Why do we need people's love. Why can't we just be by ourselves."

"What makes you think that darling?"

"Well today I heard Mrs Kaft say to Mr Kaft that she wished she never fell in love with him? Why do you fall in love with a person if you are going to wish you never did?"

"Well flower, love is very difficult. Sometimes two people belong together, kind of like they were meant to be together. Like their souls were meant to be one. Do you get what I'm saying?"

"Yes mommy"

"Then sometimes two people try to make love work when those two people are not meant to be. There souls don't match, unlike when you find your true love. And when two souls don't match their going to be angry and lash out. But if you try you hardest to find someone you soul matches then you will have no problem. I promise"

"Like you and daddy?"

"Y... Yes flower, just like your father and I."

"Promise me that you won't marry until your soul matches that person."

"I promise mommy."

"Wake up!" I hear commanded, snapping me out of my dream of my mother and I. My head is resting on the wooden bar of the carriage and I sit up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Let's go!" I'm jolted awake as my leg is yanked to the exit of the carriage.

I look around my surrounding and my heart races; were at the docks. I look up and see we're right in front of a boat and I see two figures manning the deck. It's not a big boat, if I didn't know any better I'd say it belong to a pirate, a pirate without a big crew and little money.

I also see two guards standing next to me as one grabs my arm and pulls me very roughly to the wooden gangway of the ship. I am so tired and just over life to fight him. Not that I would if I was not tired, but I definitely try to wiggle away from his grasp.

My hair is falling in front of my face, but it's become a source of comfort over the past few hours. It's helping keeping me from the cold of winds. Keeping my head down he stops pulling me and stops me in front of the gangway. "Go." He orders, his voice harsh and mean. I look up into his cool hard grey eyes and nod my head.

Looking up into the muggy gray bleek sky, I see the sun slowly going down. I want to laugh, think that as the sun leaves so does my future. My not so bright future. Not anymore. But if I'm being honest I knew this would never have a good ending.

As I walk the gangway I look around me seeing a man and women holding hands and smiling at each other, there giggles fill the air. They look so in love with each other. I hear a baby's cry and look in the other direction and see a baby being cradled in its mother's arms. Her whispering sweet nothings into the child's ear and the bundle calms.

I take in my surroundings and take a look at the castle. My mind wants so badly to wonder what Bastian is doing? Does he know I left? Is he busying planning his wedding?

Tears sting my eyes as memories of him and I flash in my mind. Our meeting, his stopping the man with the whip, patching up my arm, his kind words and soothing eyes. Our dancing, the feeling of his touch on my back and me touching his shoulder.

All of our conversations, staring at the stars, him holding me in my times of need and solace. His confession of being in love with me and my returning his feelings.