Chapter 8 - So Is This Love?

Winter

The feeling of wind sweeping up my hair and blowing in my face wakes me. Slowly I open my eyes, seeing that I am still in the forest. I feel arms around me; my head resting on a warm chest.

Bastian's chest.

So warm and comforting; I could stay like this all day if I wasn't on a curfew and that curfew is soon over, by the tell if the sky turning a warm orange.

I turn my head up and see Bastian looking beautiful, sleeping, peaceful, no worry lines in his forehead that I sometimes see when he is awake. I wonder what his troubles are? What are his interest? But maybe I'll ask later.

I start to stand up; needing to get home and not wanting to wake him, but as I just about to wiggle out of his hold I feel his grip tighten and pull me into him, my head resting on his shoulder and I feel him inhale. His breath tickles my neck and I let out a soft giggle.

"I love that sound." He remarks and my cheeks burn, I move my head off his shoulder and face him. I try to wiggle out of his hold, "What's the matter?" He questions, looking confused and I give him a small shy smile.

"I have to go." I say my voice lace with melancholy. I don't have days like this, but I really enjoyed myself, even though I had a small break down. His brown creases, "Why?" he asks, loosening his grip around my waist.

"I have to be home before sundown." I say and and point to the sky, "It's almost sundown," I say, with a smile. He give me a small smile and reluctantly lets me up.

"Let me walk you home?" He asks and I bite my lip in contemplation, I would love to spend a few more minutes with him, I know he knows I don't live in a castle like he does, but I just don't want anyone seeing him.

"Please" he caresses my cheek and I nod, too swept up in the fog that he creates in my mind. He give me a big beautiful grin and takes my hand, "You take the lead." he says and I start the walk off to my house.

"What's your favorite color?" I asks as we make our way to my house. We have been talking for the past few minutes, throwing questions at one another, he is wearing his cloak again, the hood covering most of his face so I can't see his remarkable eyes, but I can see his megawatt smile and it's breathtaking.

"Brown" he says, looking into my eyes for a moment as a horse rides past us, I blush "Yours?"

"Blue" I say shyly and I see him grin.

We walk past the orphanage on our way to my house, we had a couple more minutes so I decided to take the long way to spend more time with him and also to see my favorite little kids.

Walking past I see all the children playing outside with the ball I found in an old toy chest on mine a few months ago. There all laughing and smiling, kicking around the bright blue ball. "These are the little kids that were with you on the kings road?"

Bastian asks as we stop for a moment, he voice going hard for a moment. I guess he is still mad at what happend at the king's road.

I nod my head, "Yes, there the little children from this orphanage here; right now there are nine of them, they come and go, some get adopted, some run away, it's all different. I've been coming over for a few years now. I do what I can, sing, play music, they enjoy it and so do I. There like my little family, I love them." I say and bite my lip, realizing I have went on a ramble.

"I'm sorry your highness, I'm sur-"

"Don't apologize, I love hearing about your life, and I'm very pleased to know these kids here get such a wonderful musician to play for them. And please just call my Bastain." He says, moving his fingers under my chin to look up at him. I get lost in his gaze again, but I nod.