Chapter 1

“Donna Marton?” says the homeroom teacher.

“Here!” shouts Donna.

“Leah Noldarack?” says the teacher.

“Here!” says Leah.

She goes through the list, ticking off each studentg and putting a dot next to those who weren’t there.

“Anyone I missed?” she says.

“Yes Miss McNealy. You missed ‘I’m too good for everyone’ over there,” Teagan shouts out, laughing.

“Sorry, who?” asks the teacher.

Ashley sighs. “Here, Miss. My names Ashley Greene,” looking down.

“Oh, like the celebrity? Cool. So, it doesn’t look like your name is on here. Do you have any idea why?” Miss McNealy says pleasantly.

“Um, I don’t know actually know? I mean, I was new but I’ve been at the school for about 6 months,” Ashley says, confused.

“Hmm well, we should probably get this fixed up, hey?” Miss McNealy says, smiling.

Ashley can’t help but smile back. Out of all her teachers, her homeroom teacher is her favourite. She’s lucky enough to have the caring teacher for Music as well, but the rest of her teachers she either didn’t mind too much or absolutely hated.

Miss McNealy had been away for 5 months, leaving when Ashley had arrived. But the teacher had come back, and Ashley gradually warmed up to her and actually started to like her. They had been doing role call for at least a month now but Ashley couldn’t be bothered to notify Miss McNealy about the no-name-on-the-role thing. Teagan had blown it all, knowing that Ashley would prefer to not do anything about it.

Teagan smiles wickedly at Ashley and then returns back to whatever the group was talking about. Ashley sighs, and then turns back to Miss McNealy.

“Sure, do you want me to go now?” Ashley asks.

“Yeah, that’d be great. And also, Ashley, could you do something for me?” Miss McNealy asks.

“I guess,” Ashley shrugs.

“It’s not something big. I just forgot to put in my lunch order at the tuckshop. Think you could do that for me?”

Ashley sighs dramatically. “Fine! But only because it’s you.”

“Oh, and Ashley?” Miss McNealy calls out.

Ashley turns around. “Yes, Miss?”

“Smile?” Miss McNealy says, grinning.

“Whatever,” Ashley says mockingly, but then smiles a very rare genuine smile. “Thanks Miss McNealy.”

Miss McNealy waves her off laughing.

Ashley walks off. On the outside, she has her blank, nothing-going-on-here face, but inside she’s happy. An unusual feeling that could only be brought about from her most favourite of people; her Father, Miss McNealy, and well, that’s about it.

She walks to the canteen, and orders the usual Miss McNealy gets. Ham and Cheese Sandwich. Fruit Salad with no rock melon. Orange Juice, the one with the happy little orange on the wrapping.

“You got the money?” asks the tuckshop lady expectantly. She bursts her bubble of gum in Ashley’s face.

Ashley gets a whiff of her breath and suppresses a groan. “Um, no. She didn’t give me any.”

“Okay, whatever,” the lady says, bored. She looks back at Ashley. “You can go now?”

“Erm, okay. Thank you for everything,” Ashley says, sarcasm leaking into her voice. The tuckshop lady smiles and sticks her tongue out at Ashley.