6. Hope

Unedited

+ + +

Mackenzie's POV

The girl in front of me finally met my eyes, "Hi Mackenzie. Long time, no see." she chuckled.

I blinked a few times, okay more then a few.  Like 1 million. I had a good reason though. All the memories we shared flashed before me.  Us letting loose rats in Ms. Hill's class,  pulling fire alarms,  putting dye in Mr. Han's pool.

"What?!?" I yelled, getting mad, WHY did she leave, WHY didn't she call, after ALL we've been through!  "Long time no see." I mocked.

"Ya it's been like-" she started, but I interrupted her.

"5 years. I know." she was about to say something but I just slammed the door. I couldn't deal with this. I couldn't. I locked the door and ran to the backyard.  I proceeded to climb the fence into Luke's backyard.  I quickly went over to the sliding window door and knocked on it. 

"Taylor?" I saw Luke, he only had sweatpants on and his hair was wet, "Just got out of the shower and I was just getting ready to head over."

"Can I please come in?" I asked trying to hold in my tears, he had a confused expression on but quickly unlocked and opened the sliding door.  I quickly wrapped my arms around his waist and stuffed my head in his chest.  I was short, yes. He was tall, yes. I felt him stiffen up, but slowly wrap his arms around me.  I didn't realize I was crying until Luke started stroking my hair. 

"Shh.." he whispered.  We stood there for what felt like an hour.  When I finally started breathing properly and the tears stopped, Luke held me out at arms length.

"Upstairs?" he asked, looking into my eyes. I nodded my head as he led me to his room.  I followed behind him, and looked down at our intertwined hands.  He opened his tan door and led me to the bed. 

He had a maroon color bed sheets, with black pillows.  His room was plain white, except for a few posters here and there.

Desk, bookshelf, chair, the normal bedroom things. Then I saw a couch. A couch.  I shook my head and saw the mirror closet, I saw my reflection.

I.

Looked.

Horrid.

"Hey," I heard Luke's voice.  I look up at him, as he stood in front of me.  concern written all over his face.  "This isn't because I picked a shower over you is it?"

I chuckled and saw him with a smile.  I wish I could smile like that, glowing with happiness.  Luke sat down next to me, as I fiddled with my fingers on my lap. 

"You don't have to tell me what's bothering you." Luke broke the silence, his hand on my thigh.  I looked at it for a minute trying to get enough courage to not cry when I tell this story.

"What would you do if your long lost best friend showed up on your doorstep acting like they never left?" I asked looking up at Luke.  He looked at the celine as he thought.

"Probably slap them." he answered me 100%.  I shook it off and continued.

"Her name was Hope. Hope McCloud. Yep. I would always make fun of her for it." I laughed lowly and continued, "we were friends that were soul mates. We were best friends. No, better then best friends. We were Uber Super Mega Kolaso Big Forever Infinity Google Best Sister Best Friends. We did every thing together, no matter what.  Even went to prison once, ok not prison with the Orange jumpsuits but the holding cell.  We've been through so much together since we met at age -1. Our mom's were friends, so we had to hang out.  It also helped that we lived next to each other. ALL the way through 6th grade, we were the Dynamic Duo.  Then she...left."