TWENTY-SIX

Harsh hands ripped me away from both Thomas and Chuck. I felt completely numb and had to watch through thick tears as Thomas fought to stay with Chuck. He shouted things I couldn't register as my body was dragged away by two men. 

The next moment, I was met with bright sunlight hitting my face, immediately burning my eyes. I scrunched my eyes shut before the two men dropped me in the sand. 

"Hey, watch it!" I heard Thomas bark, the lump in his throat still clearly audible. An aggressive kick in my leg is what brought me back to my senses. Thomas had got up too, harshly pushing the person who had kicked me aside and kneeling next to me. "You have to get up, we have to go." 

I nodded and swallowed thickly. I stumbled to my feet and Thomas supported me by wrapping an arm around my waist. "That's it, baby." 

We got pushed inside of a helicopter where the rest of the guys were waiting for us. Thomas was given a harsh push in the back, causing him to fall over and nearly crush me. "For the love of God-" I heard him mutter. 

"Thomas, it's okay. I'm fine," I immediately said and sat down next to Newt. The man clothed in solely black, who had been sitting on the other side of the helicopter, pulled off his mask. 

"You guys okay?" he asked. No one answered him so he stated, "Don't worry, you're safe now." The helicopter came into movement and rose from the ground. Thomas instantly pulled me against him and held his arm around me protectively as he distrustfully eyed the man sitting opposite of us.  

"Relax, kid. Everything's going to change," the man told Thomas. 

I leaned my head against Thomas's collarbone and closed my eyes, feeling the fatigue kick in. 

I felt a bump in my pocket and realized seconds later that it was the white puppet Chuck had given me. I pulled it out and saw it was stained with red blood. Thomas saw it too and wrapped his hand around mine, holding it to my chest. 

We escaped.

We actually got out. I barely believed it as we flew over the Maze. I saw the Glade in the middle and thought of everyone we had left behind. I was never going to see them again and suddenly, I wished we hadn't left. 

I looked around the helicopter. Next to me, Newt was staring outside. Minho, Teresa, Frypan, Winston and a few other guards were sitting opposite of me. Newt glanced to the side and his eyes met mine, holding the same pained expression I had discovered in everyone's eyes. His hand grabbed my free one and gave it an assuring squeeze. 

I thought about everybody we had lost. 

Ben, one of the Runners and a great friend of mine. We'd get paired up almost every day because we knew each other like none other. We were so attuned to each other that we never had to speak to know where we were going. He had told me that when he ever got out, he'd never run another mile in his life again.

Clint, the kind Keepers of the Med-Jacks who only wanted to help people and get out of here to find himself his dream person, just like Thomas had found me. He wanted to make them dinner every night, tuck their kids in their beds and spend the entire evening with his love. 

Jeff, the Med-Jack who was always ready to goof off with me and prank other people. He dreamed of having a farm when he got out. He wanted to start a big family and forget about everything that had happened to him.

Zart, the keeper of the Track-Hoes who wouldn't hesitate to respond to my sarcastic remarks with his own sarcastic comment. He wanted nothing more than to have a pet. A buddy that could help him forget about what happened. A friend who would be there for him no matter what. 

Gally, even though he had betrayed us, I was still holding on tight to the good memories I shared with him. He was the keeper of the Builders who loved to create things. He had asked my opinion so many times before he started building something, like the council hall. We never talked about our lives before or after the Maze. He said he'd think about it when we'd ever get that far. He loved adventure so he'd make up something as he went. 

Alby, my best friend and leader who wanted nothing more than to get us all out of the Glade and out of the Maze. His heart was big, sometimes too big, because he always seemed capable of forgiving everyone, even those who didn't deserve it. He wanted to give us a decent life far away from the  Maze. 

Chuck, good old Chuck. He had been nothing but a great friend to me ever since he had got out of the Box. He knew when I needed someone to talk to and he always made sure to cheer me up when I wasn't feeling great. 

I didn't know who I was going to miss the most, but I knew I wasn't going to forget any of them.

As the helicopter continued to soar through the sky, I felt a drop land on my forehead and slowly make its way down my face. I looked up and saw silent tears were escaping Thomas's eyes. As if on cue, my eyes watered and I couldn't stop the tears from descending my cheeks. 

The hand he had wrapped around my waist found my stomach and started rubbing it with his thumb as if he were hypnotized. I looked up and as his eyes met mine, he pressed a loving kiss to my hair. 

We escaped the Maze.

Who knows what comes next?