Prologue

Before I ever found out about being more than normal, I loved to pretend to hunt monsters. I was raised by my mother, who taught me the horrors of monsters and how they should all perish. Little did I know that I was a monster all along.

     The story goes like this: There was once a little boy named Jackson Jekyll. All he was ever told about growing up were the disgusting monsters that didn't belong in our world. He was told of how humans would one day wipe out the monster population, and he was excited. Jackson wanted more than anything to be in the Monster Hunter League. He wanted to wear that amazing blue and white uniform and slaughter all monsters that he crossed paths with. 

     I am Jackson Jekyll.

     My father left my mother and I when I was just a baby, so I never really knew him or what he was. I was nothing but a normal kid with normal friends that attended a normal school. Then when I was 15, I met my cousin. His name was Heath Burns. He had crazy red hair and unusually yellow skin. I always thought it was some sort of skin condition, and I just tried to ignore it. It wasn't until his eyes went blank and his hair burst into flames did I know that he was a monster. A "fire elemental," was how my mother explained it to me. With full surprise on myself, I had no desire for him to be dead. I had no desire for any monsters at all to be dead. In fact, I didn't want any to die.

     I guess you can say that I loved monsters after that. I loved them so much that I began to publicly support all monsters and strike against the Monster Hunter League. This is what turned my life around. Everyone in my town looked upon me in disgrace. I received foul letters and wasn't even allowed in my school anymore. I wasn't wanted anywhere. The day an angry mob torched my house was the day my mother decided we had to leave.

     I thought we were doomed. There was nowhere for us to go. That's when a peculiar lady found me at my front door. She had her black hair pulled up into a bun and wore a strange purple coat. Not only that, but I was pretty sure she had a horse standing in my driveway. 

     "Jackson Jekyll," she told me. "It has come to my attention that you have nowhere to go on account of your feelings towards monsters. That is why I am offering you to take classes at Monster High, a school I own for monsters of any sort to receive a proper education. So what do you say, Jackson? Would you like to join us at Monster High?" 

     It took about a month for me to successfully move to Monster High. I had to live on campus, leaving my mother behind back at home. It was horribly sad to leave her, but I was positive she would come visit me sometime. Too bad I was wrong.