Chapter 2: First Hideout Meet and Greet

Note: We are at the second chapter already?! what?! This chapter is really fun and we loved working on this one because it was going to be a really significant moment in both of their lives. 

Be prepared for even more details about their characters in chapters to come. We wanted to slowly introduce the characters and every little detail about them (because we did actually get that specific when adding depth to these characters). 

Chapter 2: First Hideout Meet and Greet 

           Brandon wanted a reaction. He expected one. He expected her to scream or cry or run away or yell. If the others in town reacted that way, certainly Daisy would, too. He practiced explaining it, but the words did not come out right. He wrote them down, but he still didn't like it. It would never come out perfect because Brandon expected the opposite. Only meeting Daisy in person would stop his obsessive thinking about what ifs.

On the other side of the hedge, Daisy worried about what to say to him. She wondered what he looked like, but she knew it made him uncomfortable. So, she wanted to say the right thing. He needed to know he would always be her friend. She spoke what she felt to her mirror and wrote it down if her family was near. She wrote pages before it came out right. When it did, she put it in her pocket and waited.

They continued sending messages before they decided on a day and time to meet. Daisy's parents planned to leave her home alone for a few hours on Sunday. Brandon's father planned to go into work, likely to avoid Brandon, and his mother needed to do the grocery shopping. It left Brandon home alone with his brother, Troy, but he knew how to keep Troy busy. When Saturday night came, Brandon left Daisy one last note. He told her to meet him at 11 o'clock in the morning in the barn behind his house.

Daisy smiled, keeping the note close to her, and she did not stop thinking about what would happen the next morning. She hardly slept, but her parents did not seem to notice. Her mother Christine made breakfast and called Daisy down to eat. She found her father Dennis at the table, too. Christine set a table of eggs and bacon in front of Daisy.

"Will you be okay here by yourself?" Christine asked her.

"I'll be fine, mom," Daisy told her. "I'm just going to read and watch television."

Dennis took a sip of coffee and set it back on the table. Daisy knew what he wanted to say, but she let him say it anyway.

"Stay away from the neighbors, do you understand?" he asked. "We know you've been talking to him, but he's not a good person to be around."

"Dad, he's my friend."

He replied, "You don't want to be making those kind of friends. Stay in the house."

"Mom?" Daisy asked, glancing in her direction.

She simply said, "Listen to your father."

"Okay."

Christine and Dennis left as soon as they finished breakfast. Daisy walked to her room and took out a book, but found that she could not concentrate. She watched the clock, which only made time go by slower.

Brandon almost backed out on their plans as he waited. His father Adam left before Brandon woke up. His mother left a few minutes after he woke up. It was Troy who made breakfast and sat with him while he ate.

"What are your plans for today?" Troy asked Brandon.

Brandon shrugged, "I don't know. I will probably read. Maybe go outside later. What are your plans?"