Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - Job

I used to believe that the world is a beautiful place. It is full of wonders and mystery that lies deep within. It is a place where people live together harmoniously. Full of joy and full of love. But I knew so little then. I always thought that the good will always win, the truth will prevail, and love will conquer everything. But I was wrong. The world is a cruel place. I learned it the hard way, a long time ago. And now, I will never be the same.

“Fuck off, bitch!” He spit on my face that I almost want to kill him instantly. If only I don’t need to get that information from him.

“Thanks for the compliment. I’ve been told a lot like that.” I sarcastically said.

“When I get out of this place, I’m going to fucking kill you.” He said mockingly.

“Not when I pull this fucking trigger first to blow up your brains, you stupid asshole.” I smirked.

“Scarlet fucking Reiss.” He looked deadly in my eyes.

I turned serious this time.

“Who are you working for?” I asked.

“You want to know? Huh? You really want to know?” He taunted me.

“But first, do you want to know why your parents died together with your beloved sister?” He laughed devilishly when he saw me flinched a little upon hearing what he said.

“Because they are stupid! They are crazy! They are -” He stopped speaking when I punched his nose.

“You know, for a woman like you, you know how to punch.” He smirked.

“You know, for a coward like you, you have a big mouth.” I paused for a while to calm myself.

“I’m going to ask one last time. Who are you working for?” I asked impatiently.

“You know, your sister was not supposed to get killed too. She was supposed to be alive to suffer for the rest of her life just like you. But she was crazy enough to shield herself for you that led to her instant death. And just like your parents, her stupidity killed -” He stopped talking entirely when I pulled the trigger to his gut.

I breathe calmly as I fix my gun.

“Wrong move, asshole. Wrong move.” I went out after I realized that I have nothing to do in that cramped place.

I called someone who can clean up that disgusting mess.

I have to keep my cool. Right now, the only thing that can calm me down is that.

I immediately made my way towards my cafe.

I was greeted by my employees when I entered the place. I asked them to give me a hot chocolate drink in my office. They willingly obeyed my order and moments later, the drink was already seated on my table.

I was preoccupied by my train of thoughts when I was left alone in my office.

He was the last lead I had about my family’s assassination. Erwin sent it to me last night. Now, I had kill him. What am I supposed to do now? Where will I go after this? I have to start over again. And that is unacceptable. I still have to avenge my family’s death.

I swore that even after I die, I will still keep on fighting for justice. For my family. For my mom and sister. They all died without a fight, right in front of my eyes. They deserve better than that.

I gulped the drink almost immediately not minding the temperature then stood up abruptly from my seat to proceed to the kitchen.

Like I said, it’s the only thing that can calm me down.

I grabbed my apron from behind the door then fix my hair into a bun as I prepared the ingredients I need for a red velvet cake.

Ever since I was still a child, red velvet cakes were my favorite. From my brownies, to cupcakes, up to my birthday cakes. It was my Dad who influenced me to liking that cake flavor. It’s his favorite too.

When it comes to baking, it was mom who influenced me. She likes to cook and experiment different foods then she will make me taste it. It’s always my favorite part of the day. Where I have to sit at one of the stools in the kitchen counter and wait for the food she prepared. I was always the one to taste her foods first before she let my dad and sister taste it.

“Are you okay, Ma’am?” One of my barista asked me.

Just then I realized, I was mixing the ingredients harshly as I remembered my family’s memories.

“Yeah. Go back to work.” I ordered her then she left.

I still have to find a way to find someone else connected to my family’s death. I can’t ask Erwin again. He had done so much from me already. And all I did was waste his efforts.

I am putting the mixture in the baking pan when my cashier entered the kitchen.

“Ma’am, your father called. He said he needs to talk to you. He also said it’s urgent. I already connected the call to your office.” She said.

“Okay. Tell him to wait a little further. I just have to put this into the oven.” I said.

After putting it in the oven, I fixed myself then proceed to my office.

The father of mine she talks about is Erwin. I let my employees know that Erwin is my father. To avoid confusion.

“What’s urgent, Erwin?” I asked almost impatiently.

“Before we talk about that, did you kill him again?” He asked disappointed.

“I grew impatient.” I simply said.

“You really have to work on your attitude problem, Scarlet.” He said.

“Erwin.” I said with a dangerous warning on my tone.

“You’re aware that I am your superior, right?” He said calmly.

“Whatever, Erwin. Just get on with it.” I said as I slumped on my chair.

“Okay, enough with that avenging cause you have for now. I need you here in ten.” He said.

“I have a special job for you. This one’s critical so I have to talk to you personally.” He added.

“I am still baking, Erwin. I need forty five minutes.” I said.

“Reduce it to thirty. Over.” He then dropped the call.

Whatever, Erwin. You can’t control me. You know better.

That job better be interesting.