The White Witch - 34

I all but ran out of class when the bell rang, making my way to the music department as fast as I could. I almost fell through the door of one of the music room as someone opened it from the other side. 

Jake (A friend of Lucas's, as I had recently learned) stood giving me a quizzical look as I straightened myself out. 

"We need to stop bumping in to each other like this." He said, flashing me a cheeky grin. 

"Yeah well, it's not you that I came to see." I replied. 

"You're breaking my heart Bridget" He joked before stepping aside to let me past. 

"Yeah well, just be thankful I haven't broken your guitar yet." I said and he gave me a horrified look. For the past few weeks, Jake had been allowing me to borrow his guitar after I pretty much begged Mr Rae to teach me how to play. 

"Why do you want to learn how to play the guitar all of a sudden?" Jake - who had been in the room at the time - asked. 

"Well, I want to play a song for someone." I said, my face growing red. 

"And who would that be?" Jake asked at the same time as the teacher aske which song it was that I wanted to learn.

"Just some guy in my form, Lucas." I said before turning to Mr Rae. "Blue Roses by Jimmy Nail"

My cheeks flushed deeper as I realized I pretty much admitted to wanting to play a love song to a boy. 

"Wait, you're Bridget right?" Jake asked and I nodded in reply, "Are you sure that's the song you want to play for him?" 

"It's the song that played in the Cafe when we first got together." I nodded my head. 

"That's sweet, but I think we should find something else, he likes Rock bands. Maybe we should find a more 'up tempo' song, something modern."

"Wait, you know him?" I asked, now I was well and truly embarrassed.

"We're in a band together.." He trailed off, guesturing towards his guitar.

"You can't tell him!" I exclaimed.

"Only if you let me help you." He winked at me. 

"Fine." I rolled my eyes. And so we had been working together on a song for the past few weeks and I have to admit, Jake was a great teacher.

***

I stepped in to the music room and sucked in a deep breath  before I pretty much begged Mr Rae to let me borrow a guitar. It took some convincing, but eventually I was on my way with a guitar slung over my shoulder and Jake in tow with his own guitar. 

"So how is this going to work if he's avoiding you?" Jake asked as we walked along together. 

"Leah's going to get him to come outside, it will work ok?" I said. 

When we reached Leah and Lucas's house, we let ourselves in to the back garden through the side gate, just as Leah had instructed. 

I walked towards the back of the garden where there was a large tree. Jake was going to hide behind the tree until I started playing so that I had a chance to speak to Lucas without him being discouraged by someone else being there. Then he was going to come out and play the song along with me while I sang so that if I made a mistake, he could back me up until I got back on track. 

I stood below the tree, trying not to shiver as a cold breeze nipped at my skin. It wasn't long before Lucas was walking down the garden path. When he looked up and finally noticed me, he turned, ready to walk away again.