Amber: The day I found out

(BTW Issy is Isabella's nickname that she had before her mom passed away)
November 9, 2015 Amber, the day after Amber's/Isabella's mom died

Ever heard the saying "nothing worse than not knowing"? Well let me tell you how wrong it is. Not knowing sucks but knowing is even worse. The hours after the attack at the highschool everyone, in our small town held their breath. Almost everyone knew someone there. They watched for the list of the dead, hoping, praying they didn't know any names.

My dad walked into the living room where I had been sleeping, sick. He woke me up kindly and then without a word went back on his phone. I knew something was wrong. He was still in his PJs and looked worried. I was confused. I didn't know what was going on...until I looked at the TV. The news was on and they were talking about the attack.
"Isabella is smart and Mom always knows what to do, they'll be fine. " I said hopeful.
My dad hung up the phone and sat next to me, hugging me.
"I am sure they will be fine but just in case your aunt is coming over to check on you and I am going to the hospital to try and find Issy and you mother."

"Can I come?" I asked before coughing my lung out.
"You are a little too sick to come, but I won't leave until I know you safe with your aunt."

"Dad I'll be fine, if I was Issy I would want you to come as soon as possible and mom probably misses you already."

"You sure? I don't want to leave you home alone and your aunt is still an hour away."

"Dad I'll be alright. I call my friend Clair, she lives like around the corner."

My dad got up, kissed me on the cheek before saying goodbye.

I walked with him to the garage, he tried to keep a strong face for me but I could see his fear in his eyes. When we got to the garage door he patted down his pockets looking for his keys.

"Where are they!?"
I grabbed them out of the bowl my sister made in the first grade and handed them to him.

"I swear you'd lose your head if it wasn't attached to you neck." 

With that he gave me a kiss and left.

I went to the front window and waved goodbye as he drove down the street.
I grabbed the phone and sat back down on the coach. I called Clair and watch the news. I couldn't believe it when the news lady said that it was a super persons attack! Something like that hadn't happen in any small town let alone our town. I was so distracted that I didn't notice Luke (Clair's older brother) pick up the phone.

"Hello Smith's residents you speaking to Luke, who is it?"
"Luke, is Clair there."
"Yes, Amber is that you?"

"Yes Luke its me, any chance Clair could come over?"

"I saw the news we thought you were there."

"I was going to but I was sick but my mom and Issy were there."

"Are they alright?"

"I think so, my dad just went to the hospital to see if they'll be alright."

"Is there anything we can do?"

"Actually there is. My dad doesn't want me alone and my aunt is still an hour away can Clair come over?"
"Sure, I'll see if she is up for it hold on."
I heard him shout something to Clair before going back on the phone.
"She just has to get dressed and then I'll drive her. See yo in 15."

Those 15 minutes felt like forever. I sat there motionless, focused on the TV. I was hoping it would show footage of some of the survivers so I could see how hurt Mom and Issy were but they didn't. I didn't even think that they could be dead. In my mind they were always going to be okay. They were the strongest people I knew. I stared at the TV until I heard a loud knock at the door. I walked over and opened it. Before I could say anything, Clair gave me the strongest hug she could.

"If you need anything just call, I'll be here in a heartbeat." Luke told me as he left.
Clair and I walked over to the coach.
"So any news of Issy and your mom?"
"Not yet but we will."
We sat together watching the news for the rest of the night until we fell asleep. The next morning I was in the kitchen making breakfast when Clair called me from the living room.
"Amber, come fast they are listing the survivors."
I ran to the living room and stared at the news, reading ever name that went by.
James Smith
Michael Timber
Robert Jordan
Maria Garcia
David Gordan
Maria Rodriguez
Mary Lander
Maria Hernandez
Isabella Mathews
Issy was okay! But I kept reading the list, the news played it two or three time and I couldn't find my mom. She was gone. I couldn't believe it. She was dead. My mom was dead.
From that day on I felt like I was running. Running from faceting the fact that my mom was dead. Running from the fact I couldn't do anything about it.

Don't forgot to vote. Thanks