Shadow: Story time

October, 2017
Shadow
"Hello Clair' Amber. My name is Shadow. I used to work with Victoria or as you would know her Rebecca. There is a lot you both need to be filled in on, I wanted to fill you in two years ago when Isabella found out but she insisted you be kept in the dark. Let me tell you a story."
As we sat in Clair's hospital room I started to tell them a tale.

Two years ago my adopted sister Victoria (or Rebecca as you call her) called me up. I was just finishing a job. I am a bodyguard. I was protecting a friend's daughter while he was on a mission when she called.

"Shy, I got a job for you."
"Vic, you haven't talked to me since dad... and out of the blue (pun intended) you call me and the first thing you say is you need me to do something for you!!? No hi how are you?"
"Hi Shy, how are you? I need you help now."
"What could be so important?"
" Its about, him."
" I'll be there as soon as possible."

And so my dear sister gave me the address of the hospital and your sister's room number. When I got there the next day, I saw Victoria in the waiting room.
"What are we doing here?" I asked her.

"I found the last one."

"Wait!!!!!" Amber interrupted "Was she talking about Isabella? If so then last one of what?"

"Let the women finish." Clair said.

As I was saying Victoria said she found the last one.
"Of what?"
"Amber!"
"What? Its a valid question."
"Give her a chance......"
Claire passed out.
" Looks like her pain meds finally kicked in. I'll continue tomorrow.
I left the hospital room. I was kinda glad that Clair fell asleep when she did. I didn't know how I could tell them the truth. I left the hospital. Taking a second to look back in the room. Amber was sleeping in a chair beside Clair. I failed Victoria, twice. I was suppose to protect them, now Clair is in the hospital. I went to my place a small apartment above the dinner on main street.

"Morning!"
I walked into Clair's room carrying breakfast and coffee from the dinner. Amber was still asleep but Clair was awake. I lightly shook her.
"Come on sleepy head I got coffee!"
I sat down and started the story from where I left off as the girls started to eat breakfast.
As I said my sister said she found the last one. By that she meant the last of the order of the Dust. The group of supervillains were had been fighting.
I wiped a tear falling down my check.
"What happened?"
"Some things you are not supposed to ask, Amber!!"
Its okay Clair, Amber that's not my story to tell."
I went into your sister's room. Victoria had already told her everything. As I walked in your sister asked me a question.
" Are you as good as she says you are?"
"She is." Victoria explained.
I sat across from Isabella in the chair. There was this silent moment that seemed to go on forever, until finally I spoke.
"What do you need me for?"
"I am sorry Shy to drag you back in but.....I need you to look after someone for me."
"Who?" I asked. Honestly I was a little upset that we hadn't talked in awhile. I think part of her blamed me for what happened to our dad and the other part blamed herself.
"My sister and her friend." Isabella's voice grew more serious. I could hear a bit of pain.
"Wait....wait....wait! Why were we in danger?" Amber interrupted.
"The people who attacked the school was trying to.....tried to kill your mother. Victoria tried to save her but she wasn't fast enough. After that she knew if they couldn't get her they would come after her family and friends."
Amber started to cry. She always tried to keep strong but just the mention of her mom set her off. Clair put her arms around Amber and held her. She then spoke.
"Why Amber's mom?"
"She knew to much and they needed it to not look like a targeted attack. So back to the story."
I left the room. Over the next few months I was at your public school watching out for you.
"oh my god!!!! You were the red head who came in grade 8, I remember you." Clair said.
I stopped 3 kidnap attempts on you guys that year. All from the last of the members of the Dust. I didn't see much of my sister. After a few months my sister came up to me. It was a winter day and she walked up to me on the school yard.
"It is so weird seeing normal kids just being kids." She told me as she sat next to me under the Willow.
"Dad really screwed us up didn't he."
I looked over. She was pretty badly hurt. Covered in brushes and cuts. I could see she had been through a lot.
"Its done. You don't have to look over them anymore." Honestly I had been having fun seeing what it was like to be a kid but if I wasn't needed I knew I had to go.
She told me how much she loved me and we hugged. Under the willow on a beautiful winter day, as the snow was falling I hugged my sister. That is the last I saw her.
"Do you know where her and my sister are? Or why they left?"
"I am truly sorry Amber, I don't. I've told all I know. I saw Isabella in the newspaper and knew something was wrong. I am just sorry I wasn't here in time to stop you from being hurt, Clair."
"What happens now?" Amber asked.
"Well, we are going to find out the truth of course."